To Tobermory - Northern Britain 2005 - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2005

To Tobermory

The weather today was far better than was forecast, at least in the specific area we visited.  We caught the 9 o'clock ferry from Oban to the Isle of Mull, arriving in a light mist which soon ceased and then gradually developed into a patch of full sun that covered north Mull.  To the south and over the mainland, dramatic cloud formations suggested that we had the best weather of the day.

Our route, skirting the west end of northern Mull, is very beautiful (as Scotland invariably seems to us when the rains die down).  The east-west traverse is especially lovely, following the north shore of an inlet that nearly splits the island in two.  The south shore of this inlet is very striking, with sheer cliffs dropping from the southern half of the island, and the Isle of Staffa hanging off the end.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We broke at a tea shop in Calgary (scones and Black Cuillan ale) and then ground out the last 12, very hilly miles to Tobermory.  Tobermory is every bit as colorful in real life as in its photographs.  We were very lucky to see it on a fine sunny day, and even a faint rainbow added a superfluous band of color.

For dinner we ate at an Argentinian restaurant, of all things.  The meal was fine - especially the eggplant/cheese roll appetizer - and a nice contrast in our diet.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 506 miles (814 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0