A few Days in Munich - Cycling Scandinavia - CycleBlaze

August 23, 2023 to August 27, 2023

A few Days in Munich

Doing Chores

Last night, while having a pizza, we were going through the chores we needed to do before departing for home. All along we thought we were departing  on August 26. This date was reflected in my notes, and our hotel reservations, but when I went to check our flight times, the ticket said August 27!  Ugh. So we mulled over our options at dinner deciding  what we would be doing the next few days. I quickly rearranged our hotel situation which involved cancelling and rebooking our reservation for before our flight (we always stay at the Hilton at the airport), and extending our stay one night at the Novotel. Staying an extra and unexpected day was no big deal as we like Munich and enjoy our time there. It’s just the recognition of my brain fading that bothered me.  

On our first morning back in Munich, Dave rode 3 km to a nice laundromat and did two loads for 13 euros (half the cost of doing laundry in Scandinavia) and we took our bikes in for servicing. We also managed a workout in the Novotel gym. That evening we had another excellent dinner at Pescheria, our new favorite place for dinner in Munich. They offer seafood with an Italian twist. We walked the mile and a half to the restaurant on a beautiful summer evening. We walked along the river where the locals were enjoying the fine weather. 

Munich was really showing off.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
We walked through this pedestrian tunnel after dinner.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWhat a great tunnel!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago

On the day without our bikes we took the subway and tram out to Alte Pinokotek, a cool art museum specializing in art from the 1400s to 1600s. It was well presented and easy to absorb with reasonable audio and we enjoyed it. For us, summer had finally arrived; it was very warm in  Munich.

Alte Pinokotek museum
Heart 0 Comment 0

The next morning we picked up our bikes without incident and took a 22 k loop ride out to Nymphenburg Palace and back. It started to rain as we left the bike store so we stopped for coffee until the storm passed. We just wanted to do an urban ride, and felt wistful that this was our last ride. We stopped for lunch at an outside cafe and I had a three scoop salted caramel sundae for my entree! Since this was nearing our last hurrah, I chose to endulge. Plus, we haven’t eaten much ice cream on this trip- too cold most days! We stopped at the storage unit at the end of the ride and dropped our bikes and panniers off. We also stopped at the storage unit office and confirmed the arrangements for the ensuing year. This has worked out amazingly well for us. The MyPlace storage facility has been very clear in their communications and easy to work with. The place is always clean and orderly. It’s also conveniently located to our favorite Novotel (3 stops on the S- Bahn). It’s so nice to be able to fly without our bikes and gear, especially these days with airline unreliability and uncertainty. 

Stowing our bikes until next year . . .
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWhat a great way to deal with your bikes.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

The following day we did our final packing and trekked out to the Hilton at the airport. We snuck in one more workout at its fitness room. It’s been a pretty lame effort on the workout front, sadly. 

So I’m sitting in the lounge at the Munich airport, having had our last European breakfast and feeling sad but also looking forward to being home at the same time! 

Today's ride: 22 km (14 miles)
Total: 1,736 km (1,078 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Tricia GrahamAlways a bit sad to finish a trip. My Place Self Storage is such a good place to leave bikes. I can see it clearly in my mind. Have a good trip home
Reply to this comment
8 months ago