Villasimius to Muravera - Springtime Spin in Sardinia 2019 - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2019

Villasimius to Muravera

The Hotel Belvir provided a full buffet with delicious cappucino’s for breakfast. We said our goodbyes and headed down toward the coast where we picked up the coastal highway. 

Hotel Belvir.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had anticipated a couple of stiff climbs today but they turned out to be in the range of up to 4% to 6%, which we find very comfortable. The views again were spectacular. We would stop to take a picture, push off and then 2 minutes later another incredible photo-worthy scene unfolded before us. And we have it all to ourselves!

Coastal scenery.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We spent most of the day on an alternate highway, SP18, and found it to be in excellent condition with almost no car traffic.

Heart 1 Comment 2
Patty BarronQuite a contrast to Sicily, no!?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Anne MathersTo Patty BarronSo far, the roads are way better here than Sicily.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Locals all recommended us to stop at Punta Morentis, a small isthmus that has weathered sandstone rock formations on one side and a gorgeous white sandy beach on the other. Our B&B hostess told us the beach has been used to advertise beaches in Mexico to the Italians, as Mexico is a faraway, exotic, dreamy place to the Italians.  I wonder how many know they are being seduced by beaches right under their noses? In summer they charge to access the beach and cap the number of visitors at 100. Unfortunately, we rode right past the turnoff so we had to suffice with a view from the top of the hill. 

Punta Morentis.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Serpentara island.
Heart 1 Comment 0

At one of the hilltop pullouts, we met up with two French women, perhaps a little younger than us, who were cycle touring the island and camping ‘au sauvage’. It’s not often you find a country where this random camping is still tolerated but they hadn’t had any trouble finding some great camping spots. Their tour was almost ending which they had started at Olbia on the northwest coast.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Impressive cactus! I’m calling these boy cacti...no flowers or fruit on them.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On one of the climbs, we had seen the running of the goats as a farmer let his herd out of their pen for the day. The kids went first, just like a bunch of school children and were followed at a much more leisurely pace by the older, wiser goats. Next up for experiences of the 4 legged variety was this herd of sheep. They were under the direction of a dog, who gave them a call from the other side of the fence to git off the road!

Lemon grove. The trees are dripping in lemons.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Coastal scenery.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We stopped in to have a look at Punta Giunco. The colours of the sand and water and the sound of the lapping waves was mesmerizing. I could have dropped to the sand, closed my eyes and just soaked it all in. 

Punta Giunco.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Punta Giunco.
Heart 2 Comment 0

By 12:30, we had arrived at Muravera. The ride had not been anywhere near as challenging as we thought. We couldn’t check in to our hotel until 2pm, so we meandered through the orange groves with citrus envy at the sight of so many oranges blanketing the ground under the trees. When we arrived at the hotel there wasn’t a soul in sight. We waited for awhile, then noticed there was no cancellation fee so we headed off to find another B&B. Fortunately, we were welcomed at another B&B on very short notice.

This historic arch is connected to our B&B, which is in a 300 yr old building.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A somber religious procession passed through town at 6pm.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This is Sunday and the town seems devoid of life. We strolled up and down the street looking for a pizzeria or restaurant that would open today and eventually found a spartan take-out place. The pizza and beer filled a gap but that's about it. It is so true when travelling, you win some and you lose some.

We are nestled in once again. The only sounds in this otherwise quiet village are the barking dogs.

This little lovey-dovey stayed on her nest for the duration of our stay. She was directly across the street from our room, which is to say the streets here are narrow!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The dogs bark us to sleep. Good thing we are dog lovers.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 118 km (73 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Anne AnastasiouWe're really enjoying following your journey and love the pics. Glad it is going so well. Love, A&R
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Patty BarronThe scenery is stunning! The beaches so beautifully appealing!
It must be hard to resist throwing yourselves into those sparkling waters, & lounging on the sandy beaches!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Leslie Rogers-WarnockAnne and Dave! Living, cycling and EATING vicariously through your excellent adventures. Sardinia looks lovely. Thanks for posting.
Leslie and David
Reply to this comment
4 years ago