Day 2: Pontorson to Vitré - Our Very First Big Adventure: From the Channel to the Med - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2022

Day 2: Pontorson to Vitré

After a great night sleep in Le Grenier du Jardin in Pontorson (we highly recommend this place if you ever visit here), we enjoyed a nice petit déjeuner of the standard French fare that included rhubarb jam.  Croissants, great baguettes, coffee (or hot chocolate as Chuck prefers) with fromage frais and apple sauce - what more could you want?!!  

After breakfast we took a few minutes with a pail of water and a rag to wash yesterday’s sandy muck off the bike. Then Chuck masterfully (he’d make Sunnyside proud) adjusted a couple of things on the bike before we set off.    But first things first … what’s the weather report say?  Thunderstorms around 2 pm … okay, today should be good. 

Ready, set …
Heart 7 Comment 1
Bill BogueGreat photos and “blogentary”, as I’m sure others are responding! Will follow you journey with much interest!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Saying goodbye to Le Grenier du Jardin
Heart 6 Comment 0
And to Pontorson
Heart 4 Comment 0

The book “France en Vélo” says that today is a relatively flat day. We decided the key word was ‘relatively’.  There wasn’t anything steep, but it definitely wasn’t flat.  Fields of corn everywhere and trees full of mistletoe were seen as we rode up and down on quiet country roads. 

Beautiful skies match the beauty of the scenery
Heart 6 Comment 0
Fields afar
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mistletoe everywhere
Heart 1 Comment 0

Temperatures are great - maybe just 20C. No wind. No traffic. The makings of a great day on the tandem. 

A lovely church that was locked tight, but had a sweet garden.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We continued on until we entered Fougères where we immediately stopped at the first boulangerie to buy a couple of pizza like pastries and a chausson au pommes for our picnic lunch.  We continued along waiting to see the Chateau de Fougères that we’d heard so much about. 

We’re trying to figure out how to get in
Heart 7 Comment 0
The chateau is beautiful
Heart 7 Comment 0
Stunning sight
Heart 5 Comment 0
Château de Fougères
Heart 8 Comment 0

We decided to not spend the time exploring the chateau today. But we have started a list of places to come back and visit when we can stay a little longer. 

The gardens below the old city of Fougères
Heart 8 Comment 0

This view solidified the fact that we must come back someday to explore the town. Just too beautiful to miss!

When we arrived in Billé, we found a great lunch spot to enjoy our fougasse and dessert. 

The church that had a bench for our lunch spot
Heart 3 Comment 0
Quiet and comfy
Heart 3 Comment 0
Across the street the neighbor’s great gates
Heart 5 Comment 0
And the man gate
Heart 8 Comment 0

The next 30 kilometers were nothing to write home about and seemed to take way too long … but the entry into Vitré made up for it. 

Street scene with the chateau across the river
Heart 7 Comment 0
The Monastère Saint Nicolas
Heart 2 Comment 0
The addition to the monastère
Heart 2 Comment 0
And I just couldn’t resist this shot … the villain (river is named Le Vilaine)
Heart 4 Comment 0

After checking into our hotel room and parking (& locking) the tandem in the garage, we explored town. Two churches and a chateau. 

Église Saint Martin
Heart 4 Comment 0
Église Saint Martin
Heart 1 Comment 0
Église Saint Martin
Heart 0 Comment 0
Église Saint Martin
Heart 4 Comment 0

Sadly there was a gentleman sitting in here so we didn’t think it was appropriate for Chuck to sing. 

Église Notre Dame
Heart 3 Comment 0
An organ in Église Notre Dame
Heart 1 Comment 0
An extension added to the Église Notre Dame
Heart 2 Comment 0
And the main organ in Église Notre Dame
Heart 1 Comment 0

The acoustics weren’t quite as nice as earlier today.  But onward we went and walked around the remaining ramparts and finally ended up at the Chateau de Vitré. It’s quite impressive. 

A corner of the ramparts
Heart 4 Comment 0
As we finished walking along the rampart remains, we came across this stunning tower
Heart 2 Comment 0
The front of the Chateau de Vitré
Heart 8 Comment 0
The old draw bridge
Heart 4 Comment 0
This entry building currently houses the city hall, known as the Mairie
Heart 5 Comment 0
View from within the courtyard of the chateau
Heart 8 Comment 0
One of the various towers that still remains
Heart 7 Comment 0
The remains of the Tower de Madeleine that housed the duchess
Heart 5 Comment 0

After viewing the chateau we roamed around through the old city center for a refreshment before dinner.  Tonight’s dinner was quite a find. We’d hoped to squeeze into the restaurant  suggested by the book “France en Vélo”, but we were turned away since we didn’t have reservations. I wanted to check with TripAdvisor, but Chuck wanted to wander. Wander we did reading this menu and that. We walked by a place where we could see the chef grilling over an open fire and the smell won us over.  

First difficult decision: what wine
Heart 4 Comment 0

Our waiter asked if we wanted French wine or something different … it didn't matter to us. Then he asked if we liked fruity or intense. Intense, of course. Then he brought out the board and explained the few red options. This bottle screamed Chuck all over it!  Delicious!

Chuck’s amazing meal
Heart 5 Comment 1
rod daySometimes the first opption being full is a good thing.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

It didn’t take Chuck long to decide on having the smocked (yes, spell check didn’t correct that word) pulled pork. It was served with a baked potato- we haven’t had one since moving here!  The flavors were amazing!!

And mine
Heart 4 Comment 1
Mo SchwartzYou ate FISH???? Great adventure indeed.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

I asked for the cote de boeuf, but the waiter pointed out that the smallest piece was half a kilo and should be shared. Yikes!  The other items included prawns and veal kidney - yuck to my palette. So I ordered the fish of the day.  OMG, it was a white fish grilled and served on a bed of grilled julienne vegetables with Asian seasoning. It was incredible!

We walked back to our hotel with a feeling of complete satisfaction. And then we saw this sign. 

Restaurant Friends like Pigs
Heart 6 Comment 0

Too cute!

Pontorson to Vitré
Heart 2 Comment 1
Barbara Bohm-BeckerYou two are such smarty pants! I like how you keep your mileage and climbing to a place where you will have plenty of energy left to explore the towns you visit. Credit Card Touring ROCKS!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Stats: 68.5 kilometers 756 meters elevation my

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 409 km (254 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 2
susan maaschvince has been to fougères just a “few” times—it’s a contrôle in PBP. two visits every 4 years…
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
susan maaschyour pictures and commentaries are great. 💕
Reply to this comment
1 year ago