Day 1: Saint Malo to Pontorson - Our Very First Big Adventure: From the Channel to the Med - CycleBlaze

September 1, 2022

Day 1: Saint Malo to Pontorson

Well, that went well! 

After a leisurely petit déjeuner, we loaded up the bike to start this ride.  We made sure the rain jackets were readily available because we’re in Brittany where it rains often. Although the locals we chatted with talked about how little rain they’ve actually had, and how it was still warmer than usual.   But to be safe, the rain gear is easily accessible. 

Chuck & Mme Laplatois
Heart 7 Comment 0
Here we go
Heart 9 Comment 0

And with the goodbyes and thank yous done, we set off for the waterfront and the official tire dipping ceremony. 

From the Channel
Heart 12 Comment 1
rod dayDid you not do the other 'thing' on a coast to coast, take an Atlantic pebble to the Med? To late now if you didnt!!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

A sweet gentleman volunteered to take our photo, but it was hard convincing him to come closer.  With the official starting ceremony completed, we pedaled off. 

After 5 kilometers or so we found ourselves on quiet country roads that skirted along the waterfront. Eventually we came upon a vista we couldn’t resist. 

A house on an island
Heart 9 Comment 1

Continuing along the route we passed quite a few cyclists sporting panniers - must be a thing around here.  We ventured out to the Pointe du Grouin for our first sighting of Mont Saint Michel.  

Look closely at the center of the horizon - faintly viewed Mont Saint Michel
Heart 4 Comment 0
View from Pointe du Grouin
Heart 5 Comment 0
And another view
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our next point of interest was in the village of Cancale, well known for its oysters.   We stopped to visit the Église Saint-Méen, followed by a quick stop at a boulangerie to buy some quiche and madeleines for a picnic lunch. 

Église Saint-Méen
Heart 3 Comment 0
The organ that was restored in 2013
Heart 3 Comment 0
Beautiful altar
Heart 4 Comment 0

Our route continued through town along the waterfront. Due to the darkening of clouds we decided to forego checking out the oysters (not my favorite anyways) and to keep pedaling towards the brighter sky.  We stumbled across our first routing error - a road had been changed to one way and it wasn’t the way we wanted to go!  We worked our way around and up the hill to continue along the mudflats.  We finally decided to stop in the sunny little village of Saint Broladre to have our picnic. As we sat in the sun, we sent a text to our next chambre d’hôte host to let her know we were going to ride out to Mont Saint Michel for photos before meeting with her. We did say if it starts to rain that we’d high tail it into town instead. So, once again we rerouted and found a cycling path to take us to Mont Saint Michel.  

Lovely warm lunch spot
Heart 4 Comment 0

Well, wouldn’t you know it, our luck just ran out.  As we are well into the hard pack cycling trail, the rain appears. We donned our trusty Outdoor Research rain jackets and continued along. It didn’t take long for the shower to quit. A bit later Chuck commented on how little rain we had.  Jackets were drying off. But I pointed to the right where we could see the rain coming down over there. Minutes later, that rain arrived.  Oh well, after 10 minutes it was gone again. When we hit the paved road, we gave up the idea of seeing Mont Saint Michel (it was socked in) and beelined it to our chambre d’hôte, Le Grenier du Jardin in Pontorson. 

Warm showers, laundry washed, pictures reviewed, blog updated, and the Vuelta watched. Then it was time for dinner. Our host recommended a couple of restaurants. The first (her favorite) was closed, so we stumbled upon her second recommendation. Another crêperie!  A second helping of galettes were consumed with cider - not bad, two days in a row!  But these were so different from the ones we had yesterday. See for yourself. 

Chuck’s Normande
Heart 7 Comment 1
rod daydouble yummy
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

This galette had filet mignon (Americans know this as pork tenderloin) with caramelized apples, red onions, emmenthal cheese, and beetroot sauce. It was divine. 

My Chèvretine
Heart 7 Comment 1
Eva WaltersThanks for the food photos and the detailed descriptions of the galettes. They look wonderful, and it's so interesting to know what all the toppings are. I look forward to following your journey, and hopefully more dinner details!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

My galette had chèvre, magret fumé (smoked duck breast), salade, beetroot, poached pear, goat milk ice cream, and raspberry sauce. It, too, was delicious and surprisingly light. 

All in all, it was a fun day!

Day 1
Heart 1 Comment 0

Stats:  71.3 km, 457 meters elevation gain

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 340 km (211 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 0