1st Day, Cumberland, MD to Meyersdale, PA - Go And Pedal the GAP Trail, Sept 2022 - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2022

1st Day, Cumberland, MD to Meyersdale, PA

Cycling from Cumberland, MD to Meyersdale, PA.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Well here we go, and there is light rain outside, and it is supposed to be this way all day. Haha. Well I asked for an adventure, and it looks like I got it. Whoa! Yep!

We will be going uphill for the first 22 miles (more than a 3rd of the ride) and hitting a couple of tunnels, and then crossing the Mason & Dixon line that separated the North and South during the Civil War. It should be really cool. 

We are parking our truck at Cumberland and getting our bikes ready. It takes at least 30 minutes to get everything together.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is the Mason & Dixon line which separated the North from the South during the Civil War.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It rained all day and it feels like our waterproof rain gear was not very waterproof. You can see that our phones were wet and foggy because it literally rained all day. :)
Heart 0 Comment 0

It took 22 miles of uphill, carrying a load, with crushed limestone, while it was raining to get to Meyersdale. The great thing was that the last 10 miles we were really moving because we actually had a slight downhill. We crossed the Continental Divide, which is the highest point on the trail, but then you have a bit of a downhill into Meyersdale. We were at a pizza place at midday and we almost ate a whole large pizza together. Wow, we must have been really tired. 

Debi is soaking wet, and it is still raining. Oh my!
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are some really cool tunnels along the GAP trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we were going uphill with 50 lbs of gear, these people were going downhill on these train cars. So cool. We want to do it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mt. Savage Tunnel is super long to the point where you can't even "see light at the end of the tunnel". Really. More pictures to come.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming up onto the Continental Divide which is the highest point on the trail. We were dying going up this hill, and were ready to be over but we still had another 10 miles to go, but it was all downhill. Whoop!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We finally made it to Meyersdale, and we were wet and definitely done for the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We pretty much ate a large pizza between us. We were still wet and cold, but doing alright.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 32 miles (51 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0