Day 17 Grand Teton - Portland to Portland Anniversary Ride - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2018

Day 17 Grand Teton

Classic Tetons picture
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset from our tent. You can’t see the dozens of mosquitoes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Coulter Bay Campground. Grand Teton NP. 

Early morning wake up so we could say goodbye to John and Barb before they headed out. Barb was up extra early and made us all French toast. That’ll keep us going for a while! We packed everything up and hit the road at about 9:30. The first 25 miles of our day was all bike path, so that was pretty cool. We rode through Jackson and up along the Elk refuge. No elk to be seen though; they’re all up in higher country now. We cruised north with the Tetons in view for the rest of the day. Such a majestic rugged range. We entered Grand Teton NP at Moose and continued up towards Jenny Lake. Beautiful area, but overrun with tourists and RVs. After that we were on the road. Again some cars and RVs were courteous and gave us room; others not so much. Then there was the group of tourists walking out into the middle of the road to get a picture. One lady looked right in Jon’s direction then proceeded to walk right in front of him. Thankfully we yelled loud enough that she stopped, but seriously?! You’re in the road! 

Anyhoo, after that bit of fun, we rolled into Coulter Bay Campground. They have designated areas for hiker/bikers, far away from the RVs and in a nice quiet area of the park. This whole campground is nicely treed and just perfect. We got here around 4, set up the tent and took a little siesta. After that we walked the mile or so down to the campstore...we were craving chips and salsa. 😋 After that indulgence, neither of us was particularly hungry for dinner (shocking), but I did mix up an IsaPro shake. We saw one other biker who stopped to say hello. He’s traveling cross country as well, but a slightly different route. We talked for a bit, But the mosquitos started to come out in earnest and we all went to the protection of our tents.

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 2,957 miles (4,759 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0