Dolbeau-Mistassini to Saint-Felicien: The day we discovered chocolate blueberries. - Exploring the Route Verte in Quebec, Canada by Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 15, 2010

Dolbeau-Mistassini to Saint-Felicien: The day we discovered chocolate blueberries.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We agree that Camping St-Louis was a real surprise - we met more locals, got a taste of French line dancing and had a more unique experience here. We were initially disappointed that Camping Les Chutes was full, but things do have a habit of working out for a reason.

Our chalet at Camping St-Louis
Heart 0 Comment 0
The front deck of our chalet.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Two of the young men working there had been on a 2 week school trip to B.C.last summer to learn English. They were most excited to talk to us and practice their skills.

The lifeguard at Camping St-Louis - happily practicing his English.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Next stop was another Maison de Veloroute information centre on the circuit. The Allyson B, a double decker bus from England is its proud home. The volunteer working there overflowed with enthusiasm and endeavored passionately to teach us the correct pronunciation of Chemin du Roy. After much spitting and laughing we agreed that English mouths are not created with the ability to form an r and w as one letter. "Rw--gutteral spitting sound + aw".

Helpful, exceptional Veloroute volunteer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leanne - an outstanding Tourist Info worker. She provided us with free internet access on a computer, printed out our VIA tickets, booked our B&B in Saint Felicien and was adamant that we try the chocolate blueberries. Of course we did.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After eating an entire box of chocolate blueberries (we had to - they wouldn't last in the heat!!) we headed off on the trail. My god, the chocolate blueberries were the best thing we've had in a long time. Dark chocolate bark over fresh berries that explode in your mouth as you bite into them.

Note that the box is presently full....
Heart 0 Comment 0
One crazed chocolate maniac. Hopefully this will turbo charge us on our way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The berries are unusually small this year due to the dry weather. Still tasty and good memories for Mary Ellen's Ontario blueberries.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We fought a head wind and high humidity all day...a tough day. It's good that we had booked a Gite in Saint-Felicien as we might have stopped sooner. This part of the trail moves away from the lake and we are travelling through farm land and small villages.

A good example of the money being spent on cycling paths and bridges. This region has been dedicating millions of dollars to improve the route, which is only 10 years old.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Hebergement Girard in Saint-Felicien is another wonderful place we'll be staying. We had intended to camp more but the connection with locals and the wonderful breakfasts have convinced us that we can camp at home - but these experiences are truly unique to the region we are travelling in.

A long but good day,

This statue advertised a concert - or is it Barry, overloaded on chocolate blueberries?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,364 km (847 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0