Villeneuve: At the top of Lake Leman - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

September 6, 2009

Villeneuve: At the top of Lake Leman

We had a very busy and beautiful day. Had breakfast at 8.00 after watching BBC and the Music Channel. All up cost of 145SF so very expensive but good.

We set off on a clear coldish day, the conditions were lovely and we were nearly always on quiet roads. It was across fields at first with a few navigational problems early on but after that our navigation was good. Back into cow country with lots of walnuts and large apple and pear trees all of which were in full fruit. No plums here alas. We climbed up to cross under an A road and finally after 1-2 hours of climbing began a very long mainly gentle descent towards Lausanne and Lake Leman. The road did get busier and for a long time we were beside a railway separated by a nasty 2foot high concrete barrier. Tricia seemed to be going particularly well.

We sped through the outskirts and then the centre of Lausanne. We had originally planned to stop here but it was only midday. Finally we were down to the lake where it was lovely. Lots of people - miniature trains including a steam one whizzing round giving kids rides. People walking , roller blading and lots of ducks and a few geese. We had an ice-cream and enjoyed the scene.

Then on along a little path beside the lake for a time. When this became too difficult we went back to the road. There was a marked cycle way most of the way and in spite of fairly heavy Sunday traffic we got on OK.

There must have been a special open car day as we saw lots of Alfa Spyders and many other open cars. The next place under the carpet of vineyards was Vivey - where we had expected to stay but we carried on to Villeneuve where by 3.30 we were set up in a camping ground. It was still lovely and warm though we expected a cold night. We watched other campers arrive and hang gliders coming off the mountains. The showers were great, we bought some beer and found somewhere to eat so we will suvive another Sunday night.

Towards the mountains
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lausanne
Heart 0 Comment 0
The steam train
Heart 0 Comment 0
Above the lake the vineyards stretched right up
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small towns
Heart 0 Comment 0
Safe cycling but I should have been further over
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our home for the night
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Boats ready to go out on the lake
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,154 km (717 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0