Martigny - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2009

Martigny

The night was not cold, we slept pretty well and there was not much dew in the morning. Up just after seven with juice and yoghurt for breakfast and on the road on a cool and clear day just after eight. Made some bad navigational moves early on and found ourselves on busy roads but this as soon corrected and we were on quiet roads and a track beside the Rhone, it was great cycling. The Rhone was very milky indicating it is glacier feed. There is a flat area about a mile wide for a long way up the valley with corn, sugar beet, and later lots of apples, pears, apricots, carrots and lettuces. The left slopes had vast areas of grapes mainly red which in another week or two would be ready to harvest. Magnificent mountains on both sides and in front.

We went through a narrow part of the valley and found a cup of coffee. We stopped for lunch by a creek on the edge of a forest - there were few places to sit down. Then just another few kilometres to arrive at the camp ground in Martigny at i.30 - of course there was none in check in until 3.30 but there was a friendly note to say pick your spot and pay later. We put up the tent, showered then washed a few things which quickly dried in the hot afternoon. We explored the Roman Amphitheatre and found a food shop. Other campers are lounging on their very comfortable chairs reading and snoozing. We are pleased we now have two functional stools!

It is very productive land up this valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
the valley narrows in parts
Heart 0 Comment 0
A welcome cup of coffee
Heart 0 Comment 0
The high mountains are getting closer
Heart 0 Comment 0
Set up in the Martigny Camping ground
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 1,197 km (743 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0