Fidenza - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2009

Fidenza

Up at 7.30,had our juice, loaded up and away. Andreas and Maria were in the hostel, both on foot. No rain this morning but the sky was still heavy. The road was terrible for 4k until we got off it. The Italians seem to have spread all their industry along the road and everyone is driving madly. We finally got onto a small road through maize, lucern, tomatoes and cows(always inside). The tomatoes are grown on the ground and are harvested mechanically - they seem to be spilt all over the place so we gathered a few for lunch.

Had coffee about 9.30 then through pleasant flat country which had mostly deeply plowed after wheat. Then at about 11.00 into Piorenzola which is a neat little place. We got bread and by then we were seeing VF signs. Off again along small roads, some nice churches one of which had a seat so we had lunch there. It was then only 7k to Fidenza. This is an moderately sized town with an ancient and beautiful cathedral and most importantly a laundrette where we could wash our clothes. We were staying in the Abito de San Fransisco. We were met there by a rather strange man and shown around. Then a shower and we were off to the laundry with a bag of clothes. There was a supermarket next door so we got food for a meal and a bottle of Barbera for 2E and a couple of bottle of beer for 50cents. This all helps keep the finances in order. We are about to leave the Lombardy plains.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 1,601 km (994 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0