Campagnano di Roma - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

October 3, 2009

Campagnano di Roma

After a good breakfast we were onto the S52, it was a slight uphill with the sun in our and the other driver's eyes. There was quite a lot of traffic but no good alternative. We came to large areas of hazelnuts and saw a giant vacuum cleaner sucking them up. There were lots of new plants too. Then into Capranich which is a small walled town on a ridge full of narrow streets and alleyways. Once more we saw some blokes working in a wine cellar,they had the whites fermenting on their skins in a concrete fermenter and there was no sign of any cooling. Wood gathering was in full swing so they must anticipate an end to this glorious weather soon. The bottom end of the town ended in steps so we had to go back up again and join the Via Cassia. We were soon in Sutri (were Sigeric stayed) but didn't go up to the town as it was up a hill. Then we came across Etruscian Burial Sites - they were like caves hollowed into the cliffs, some of them decorated with rock carvings. It was then onto Montorossi where they were busy cobbling the main street - it is a pretty little town that looks prosperous. It was rather a shock when we got back onto the Via Cassia to find it had become a four lane highway, the surface was terrible and the traffic going at a breakneck pace. However because of its width it really was fairly safe and we were not very long on it till the GPS told us to turn off. We had 5 or 6 km up hill to arrive right on midday to the mass of cars and people at Campagnano di Roma. There was of course a market on in this lovely medieval town. We rather despaired at finding a hotel in the midst of the crowd but Tricia found us a room right in the centre. A quick look around then we had our lunch of bread, cheese and wine before a brief siesta.

Later we explored a very old part of town with 11th Century buildings and Etruscian burial sites. People were living in these ancient places and kids playing in the streets. We ran into Bob whom we had met in the Appenines and he was doing well and excited about reaching Rome. Our meal was in our room with an excellent bottle of Montipulciano.

Winter wood
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wine makers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Etruscian burial Sites
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The market
Heart 0 Comment 0
With his good friend
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ancient buildings
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kids play in the streets
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tricia meets Bob
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 2,125 km (1,320 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0