Summertime and the living is easy . . . (Steph): Musings on life along the Swiss / German Rhine, and a bit beyond - Jimmy Carter thinks I'm a sinner - CycleBlaze

April 19, 2007

Summertime and the living is easy . . . (Steph): Musings on life along the Swiss / German Rhine, and a bit beyond

Summer time, and the living is easy
Heart 1 Comment 0

OK so the weather has been unbeatable - sunshine, no clouds, very little wind, warm (mid-20s) but not too hot to be out. Deceptively like summer in fact.

Eveywhere along the Rhine people are out enjoying themselves. Cycling and walking. Sun bathing or eating ice cream. Everywhere we pass through is well-tended, neat (I even saw someone cutting grass with scissors), clean. People have time to decorate the local fire hydrants.

All the cars are recent, smart, clean (of course), and there are lots of big fancy German sports cars. And none of them are being driven arrogantly, no "look at me, I'm great" attitide, no "m'as-tu vu?". This is typical of the respect that everyone seems to show towards everyone else. On a bike it's very noticeable (and appreciated).

The presumed honesty is astonishing. Several times we were fooled into thinking that a shop was open because there were lots of plants and pots stacked outside for sale. No, it was Saturday evening, the shop was shut and the plants were just going to sit there, unguarded, until the shop reopened on Monday morning. The same for 'pick your own' tulips (no, they weren't pansies, Les). Just put your money in the box and cut the flowers you want.

Life just seems perfect as though no one has worries.

In short, it would be easy to think that it's summertime and the living is easy. No doubt appearances are deceptive.

And so we leave the Rhine valley and the holiday atmosphere and clamber up and then down to the Danube, to Tuttlingem. This has all the signs of a typical small German town. Still seems pretty prosperous. Still the same mutual respect. The main difference is that there are more pizzerias than dainty tea shops. (Oh, and there are internet cafés a gogo). No doubt both are signs of a more mixed population. It'll be interesting to see how it develops . . .

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0