Into Italy: In the Apple Capital of the World - A River Route through Europe searching for a good cup of coffee - CycleBlaze

October 1, 2011

Into Italy: In the Apple Capital of the World

I was pleased to see that the smoke was going straight up in the air from the chimneys when I looked out the window this morning. We wouldn't have to fight the wind as well as the gradient on the wayto the pass. It was about 7 or 8km of climbing and not too bad at all, all perfectly rideable. I was looking at all the little streams running in the direction of the Inn and looking forward to seeing them heading for the Adriatic. When I got to the top I said 'Buon Giorno'' to a cow and we were in Italy . At the top is a largish lake made by damming those little streams trying to escape to the Adriatic. There is a very pleasant track around it and we stopped at a café where I asked for due cappacini per favore and then I felt I was really in Italy.

After the end of the lake the descent was fast and furious. The countryside was magnificent, I keep thinking it can't get any better but it does, real Alpine country with snowy mountains now around us. In winter it must be a buzz with the activities of skiers. Even now some of the chair lifts were operating presumably taking wanderwegers high up so they can walk down. On a beautiful sunny Saturday like today it is alive with bikers. The tracks are absolutely magnificent up here in Northern Italy. They are wide, paved, well signposted and car free for the most part. It is not suprising we saw so many people using them following the Adige River as it rushes head long towards the Adriatic. There were few touring cyclists like us but many were on hire bikes, we think there must be a way of getting them and the bikes back to the start as we didn't see as many riding in the uphill direction.

A surprise to both of us were the apple orchards. I think the Adige valley must be the apple capital of the world. We have ridden through apple orchards for over 50km. Picking is in full swing and it made me think of our young Swedish friend Edvin who was picking apples last season in New Zealand when he wasn't cycling. Skinny orchard tractors were rushing importantly everywhere with their massive insecure looking loads. When we got to Merano, which is a largish town, they had even ventured into the city streets. Down here it is much warmer and doesn't seem Alpine anymore.

The top of the pass doesn't look very spectacular
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lago de Resia with its drowned church
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful paths
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We came across a wedding,the groom was having his hair cut in some sort of ceremony much laughter
Heart 0 Comment 0
Off to be processed
Heart 0 Comment 0
Merano
Heart 0 Comment 0
A happy dog!
Heart 0 Comment 0
They know the Rugby World Cup is happening
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 97 km (60 miles)
Total: 3,497 km (2,172 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0