Unstapled! - Rise Again! Fall/Winter 2019 - CycleBlaze

January 18, 2019

Unstapled!

Spoiler alert - slightly gross photo!

Last week was the time to taper off the heaviest narcotic pain killer - oxycodone. Predictably, we started to get some squeaks of pain out of Dodie, so we backstopped with more of the second most powerful stuff, tramadol. But now, in the last two days, healing must have caught up, and that extra tramadol is mostly not needed. Most encouragingly, Dodie threw away her walker two days ago, in favour of one cane. And today, she can be seen doddering about with no cane.

Today was also the occasion for her second big foray into the outside world. The first was four days ago, a trip to the physio. And today, the surgeon, to have her staples out.

To be sure, the leg is still swollen and kind of gross looking. But it bends, and discomfort is more like a pulling than deep hurt. Dodie looks pretty chipper about it:

Waiting for the surgeon, Dodie feels no pain.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Michel FleuranceIs seems that color strips on the sock are oriented in the wrong direction. Happy recovering.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The knee looks worse than it is. A lot of that swelling will go down soon, and when the staples are out (in a minute from this photo) there will be less pulling.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Jonathan HechtOuch!! That looks like one of the grandkids went crazy with a Swingline stapler! Anyway, glad to hear things are coming along...
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

If things continue as they have been going, Dodie will be riding her bike outside before March. That will give her one more month, and then, we're off to Austria! Tempting fate, I even have a tentative name for the coming blog: "Grampies Track the Tortes"!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Sue PriceFantastic!!! Wish we could be sharing our day to day adventures here but maybe we will yet figure out their weird wifi!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
John SaxbyBrilliant! And congratulations to all!! :-)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Rachael AndersonThat’s fantastic! Thinking about the wonderful desserts in Austria is a great motivator.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago