Turning the First Corner - Rise Again! Fall/Winter 2019 - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2018

Turning the First Corner

Sunday was a low point, when I was ready to bring Dodie back in to the hospital. But that was Sunday, this is Tuesday!  It started last night, when I tallied up our supply of hydromorphone - heavy pain killer. There was not enough to carry through to the appointment with the surgeon, on Thursday. My solution was to plan to contact the office and get some more, asap. Dodie's solution was to (mostly) stop taking it.

Say what? Is this the lady that hours before was saying "I need another one, now!" Actually no. Without any special notice, that phase seemed to have ended. 

This morning, Dodie said "Why do I need this (stupid) walker?" So shoving the walker ahead, she walked to it. And again. That way, she walked out into the greenhouse, back into the world!

What next? Lying on the bed to attempt her knee bends, she looked over at her bike. Maybe I can go on that?  And she did!

Now friends, no need to jump in your cars to come over and keep Dodie from running out into traffic. This description is admittedly a bit dramatised, and she is again safe on her recliner. But for the record, one week after the operation seems to be one of the first landmark times in the recovery.

Walkers are for wimps!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Which way to the Alps?
Heart 8 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Ardell SiegelWow! So impressive...so glad you are feeling better! Can’t keep you down for long.😊
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Andrea BrownThis is awesome! Can't keep a Dodie down for long.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tricia GrahamSo glad to hear you are passed that first awful phase Dodie. Can you turn the pedals on the bike right over yet? I think that once you can do that you are almost there. hope you are managing to get a bit of sleep at night
Love
Tricia
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Keith KleinHi Steve and Dodie,
Judging by the smile on Dodie's face its both welcome and relatively painless exercise. Bravo! Its still a bit of a road ahead, but glad you are on the way.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Keith ClassenDodie - Great to see you turning those pedals! You can’t keep a good woman down for long. The Alps are over here! Keep spinning girl! K and K
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceDodie, you continue to amaze! What better way to get those stretches in and look forward to your future than to get on your bike! Yay!!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago