Day 3: History Day - Ride And Seek - CycleBlaze

June 11, 2014

Day 3: History Day

Today was museum day. But not just ANY museums, the Santa Fe Train museum, Fort Larned, AND (hold on to yourself) the barbed wire museum! Remember when I told you about the barbed wire museum in the introduction? You must have been on pins an needles?

The Santa Fe train museum was just outside of Larned and actually pretty well done. They had various period buildings from the 1800's such as sod houses and a railroad depot. The inside also had some interesting exhibents. All for only 4 bucks!!

Maybe I WOULD make a good preacher?!
Heart 0 Comment 0
I wouldnt have liked living in a sod house. I like to walk around in bare feet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a dunce!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the Santa Fe trail museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
This just made me hungry for a burger.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fort Larned
Heart 0 Comment 0

The next stop was Fort Larned, which was started back in the day to "as a way point for settlers on the frontier...". Loosely translated, to subdue the natives.

It was interesting, though we didnt spend much time there, aside from looking through some buildings, and watching the cartoon type slide show explaining the fort.

We had better things to do, acctually, including The Barbed Wire museum in Lacross, which was a fair piece away. In fact, I had ridden that rode before during my cross country ride. And I remember how FAST I rode that stretch. Naturally, I assumed it was a studdet, so strong and sleek...

...except that now I know that it was mostly DOWN hill! I learned that because today we went, you know, mostly UP hill, or at least up grade.

Other than that the ride was uneventful and we made it to The Barbed Wire Museum with time to spare.

And WHO KNEW there was so much to know about barbed wire? Talk about finding things to find! Did you know there are over 1000 types of barbed wire? Not to mention posts, amd barb wire birds nest and giant balls of barbed wire? It was a lot to take in.

Eventually we dragged ourselves away. It was getting late and we had to find a place to camp. Ever since this trip began I had been looking forward to staying at the cyclists bed and breakfast in Bazine, but when I called them to see if we could get dinner, Elaine answered and said they werent taking cyclists for a couple of days because she had a minor opperation that day. :-(

So we did the next best thing, we rode the rest stop in Alexander and pitched our tents in the back. We had heard of other cyclists doing the same so we figured, " why not". It was a great place to camp, actually, and it was a beautiful night.

Heart 0 Comment 0
On the way to Lacrosse, and the barbed wire museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A giant barbed wire ball!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Over 1000 kinds of barbed wire!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rest stop camp site. Not bad eh? Toilets, water, grass. What more could you ask for?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 miles (93 km)
Total: 273 miles (439 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0