Day 27: Movie night - Ride And Seek - CycleBlaze

July 5, 2014

Day 27: Movie night

"Well I can start the movie for you right now if you want," said John, the owner of The Gem Cinema and Café in Panguitch.

We had missed the 3:00pm showing of The Amazing Superman 2 because we were watching The Tour de France, and were kind of apologizing about it to John. We knew he didn't have many customers for the showing and when we finished lunch we said we would be back.

We had ridden from Bryce Canyon to Panguitch and were having a short day. I needed to get a prescription filled, but being Sunday in this neck of the woods, barely anything is open for business, including the supermarket and most restaurants.

Except for The Gem that is. And as it turned out the food was great, and lunch was so good we went back for dinner, and it was there John offered to start the film whenever we wanted. Apparently business wasn't brisk at the cinema in Panguitch on Sunday.

"Well, okay, yeah," we said to each other with a shrug. "I guess we can still see Superman. It's not like there is much else to do."

So we sat in the theater and got a private showing, of the movie How To Train Your Dragon.

"This isn't Superman," I said to Leo.

"Should we tell him?"

"No, we might as well watch this, I guess."

So we sat, the only two people in the theater, watching How To Train Your Dragon. It didn't seem historically accurate, and we noticed that everyone but the hero spoke with an accent that was related in some way to the British Isles--the hero and his girlfriend had American accents of course--but for two touring cyclists who were just happy to be sitting, not pedaling, in a cool movie theater, what did it matter?

Anyway, John was a really nice guy and served really good food, as I said a few paragraphs prior, but he also is interested in our trip and all the touring cyclist who come through town.

"You should have a sign in book," Leo suggested.

And by the time we left John had agreed he should get a sign in book, but also that he will start giving away free ice cream to any touring cyclist who wanders in!

Free ice cream! WOO-HOOO!

So, anyone riding towards Panguitch, Utah, you know have the straight scoop, of ice cream that is, when you get there.

Tomorrow we head to Beaver, Utah. We decided to skip Cedar Breaks, which is just one big damn climb on the way to Cedar City.

Until then...

Handy mans delight?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Red Canyon bike path
Heart 1 Comment 0
Red Canyon bike path
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Gem cinema and restaurant...and now it offers free ice cream to touring cyclists...and a new cyclist sign in book
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cinema side of The Gem
Heart 0 Comment 0
Free ice cream!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 23 miles (37 km)
Total: 1,412 miles (2,272 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0