Walk about Avignon and Arles - On the Rhone Again.... - CycleBlaze

October 11, 2023

Walk about Avignon and Arles

the last 2 days...

We have walked a bit around Avignon and Arles the last 2 days, so I have a few pics to share.  I have enjoyed getting up early, walking the few steps to an early rising boulangerie to gather fresh croissants, and returning home with the treasure. Along with fresh coffee, it is a delightful way to start the day. We also discovered a "halle gourmande", which is an arena-sized hall with food kiosks inside each specializing in cheese, or chicken, or fish, or salad mixtures, etc etc. Really fantastic. I suspect almost all of our food will be coming from there in the next few days!

Avignon has a fantastic bridge and papal palace, while Arles is famous for their Roman amphitheater. Both are famous for their nougat, lavender, and Cote Du Rhone wine. Lots of tourists and outdoor restaurants in both places, although we are far from high season.

limestone walls everywhere in Avignon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roman remnants in the park near our AirBnB
Heart 1 Comment 0
It might say "fromagerie", but they sure sell a lot of nougat at this shop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
she is mean with the nougat knife!
Heart 1 Comment 0
marble alleys shined by pedestrians
Heart 0 Comment 0
the papal palace
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took a 1/2 hr train to Arles, mainly to see the amphitheater. We originally were going to bike here, then on to the Camargue to see where the Rhone empties into the Med, but decided to use our time differently. So we had to pop south to see Arles.

wandering through Arles
Heart 0 Comment 0
the Arles amphitheater
Heart 0 Comment 0
the Romans were damn impressive
Heart 0 Comment 0

When you see these constructions by the Romans, and realize that all of our current stadiums look basically like this (but cost more and won't last as long), you wonder if we have invented much since then besides cell phones.

cool and sunny day to tour Arles
Heart 3 Comment 2
Anne GallagherI too am impressed by the Roman structures in Arles, Nimes and Pont du Gard etc. but then have to consider that the Romans mostly used slave labour (I think).
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick Parnowe still have slave labour now, we just call them barristas....
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Arles is cute, and quick
Heart 1 Comment 0

As Marjory is an art history buff, we had to visit some key places where van Gogh painted here. He was only here one year, but painted 200 paintings, some of which became very famous. Below is one of the places, you can see the painting replica here, and darn if it doesn't look like there is a woman hanging from the bridge in that picture, don't you think?

on the van Gogh hunt
Heart 0 Comment 0

Meanwhile, checking on home turf, I see we had a visitor in our backyard a couple of days ago. That is one big black bear!

meanwhile, my camera back home captured a visitor
Heart 1 Comment 0

Lots of touring yet to go. Tomorrow, we will visit the south with some friends who live near Marseille. They are picking us up and whisking us off. Haven't seen them in about 15 yr in KL, and really looking forward to it. Bye for now.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0