Vertrieu to Lyon - On the Rhone Again.... - CycleBlaze

October 3, 2023

Vertrieu to Lyon

Good weather, as the forecast rain held off and may have missed us completely. Starting out with breakfast with the wonderful German couple we had dinner with last night - who are staying here too. They are on eBikes, and we saw them at least 4 times during our route today.

Just your everyday breakfast table.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We left Vertrieu just as school kids were being dropped off next door at the school yard. Huge school buses dwarfing the tiny streets. This lady bid us adieu from Vertrieu (see what I did there?).

Exit roundabout from Vertrieu.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Not sure if these were bike trails or roads, but we stayed on them at first for quite a while through fallow fields.

Quiet roads.
Heart 0 Comment 0

You could see that almost all crops were done - some potatoes planted but that was all we saw. Even the poor sunflowers could no longer track the sun's passage today.

Sad sunflowers.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesThey seem to not be harvesting sunflowers anywhere in France. We wonder why.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick ParnoIf we see that German couple again, we will ask!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

The aforementioned German couple educated us last night about the dead-looking corn we saw all yesterday. They said that it is harvested whole and cut up for pig food.  Today we saw a number of fields that had been harvested.

Harvested pig fodder.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I am actually a proponent of nuclear power, but we saw these cooling towers for at least 90 minutes today as we rode in a big arc around the site. I think you can see that hawk soaring just above the steam, hunting for those mice now exposed by the absent corn stalks.

Chernobyl, 3 Mile Island, Fukashima,...
Heart 2 Comment 0

So I was excited to see this section - the 'faunistique' - and the possibilities of animals, as we often see animals when riding in Canada. However, nary a sighting. Not even the mystical Sanglier (wild boar) which causes such a ruckus across Europe.

Sangliers?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Some amazing roundabouts on the route. Here was the first that caught my eye. I guess the arrow is for British tourists. When we lived in Scotland, at least one expat each year had an accident going the wrong way around.

Roundabout contest #1.
Heart 2 Comment 0

This roundabout even had a waterfall. No British tourist education required here apparently.

Roundabout contest #2.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Finally off the road and down to the river. I started singing that Bruce Springsteen song, and it was an ear-worm the rest of the day.

Down to the river...
Heart 0 Comment 0

Spectacular riding along the riverside. Big trees really appreciated as the temperature was in the high 20's by this time. What? We're Canadian, high 20's is hot!

Along the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0

On excursion from the river, and in getting back on the riverside drive we come up to a locked door. A lady putting out her trash saw us trying to open it, and watched for a minute, didn't offer any assistance, so we turned around and 2 or 3 km later, found another route to the river.

Thou shall not pass!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Entering the outskirts of Lyon was interesting as we paralleled train tracks. Train routes are wonderful because they are straight and flat and this route didn't disappoint. Straight as an arrow through the city until near the center.

Lyon 'burbs.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are now in the center and Marjory is doubting my directions. She has a sixth sense for these things, but she decides we are fine until about 5km later and we should have crossed the river when her spider sense triggered.

Marjory doubting my directions. What?
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Rhone is a central figure in Lyon. That strangely shaped building ahead is the Museum of Confluence. It sits at the confluence of two rivers, the Soane and the Rhone. Downriver is only the Rhone,

River Rhone through Lyon.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We cross the pedestrian bridge to the other side, rode for a little further until Marjory's spider sense started tingling again. We found we were about 28 minutes past where we should turn off up the St Just Hill.

Crossing the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This hill was 8% and last about 2-3 km. I will admit to walking part of the way.

Up, up, and away. 8% grade.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We did finally arrive at a wonderful hotel, although I am not sure it was worth the climb. There is supposedly a funicular, but I never found it. The map is in 2 pieces because for some reason, the destination I had inserted was not even close to where we wanted to go. Oh well. Maybe she needs to pay me more.

First part. You can see the blue dot where we are now, in the hotel vs "B" which for some reason I had typed in for a destination.
Heart 1 Comment 0
After the "intervention".
Heart 0 Comment 2
Anne GallagherAre you going to visit the Roman Amphitheatre in Lyons near Vieux Lyons? It's very impressive and when we were there it was set up for summer concerts. If my memory is correct there is a museum near the amphitheatre that has a beautifully preserved mosaic floor. Looks like you are having fun and enjoying the nice weather. Legacy Trail for me today!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick ParnoWe are! I rode by it yesterday while looking for the funicular which I never found! Then a church Marjory has identified as a must see, then old town. Full day today!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

We will stay here 2 nights. It will take that long to recover from our climb up that hill!

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 556 km (345 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe have always found it very confusing and difficult to get into and out of Lyons. Leave the bikes alone for a day and just explore, the City itself is very interesting by foot and less frustrating.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Bill BrackinAh, the Rhône and the Saône, the male and female spirits of the city of Lyon. Beautiful! I’ll email you a Tom Russell tune you might enjoy in this unique spot in the Universe…
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick Parnothx Bill, glad to have you along. if you only read one other section, I recommend the Furka....
Reply to this comment
7 months ago