Planes and trains galore - On the Rhone Again.... - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2023

Planes and trains galore

big win for Air Tags!

It's go time! We are excited and have pretty much decided to give the Furka Pass a go. We boxed up the bikes and the airport checkin was lengthy but easy.

At Calgary airport.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then the flight to Amsterdam, and we were watching our air tags to make sure the bikes made it. Then, using the old-fashioned method, looked out the window when in our seats for the AMS-Zurich segment. Oh, right.

Here it comes into the plane!
Heart 2 Comment 2
Bob RainaAir Tags! Don’t leave home without them.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick Parnoyou are right!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

I think we were the only ones who wore masks - at the airport, in the jetway, and on the plane until they started the air filters. 

Who wants to wreck a 5 week trip with a cold?
Heart 8 Comment 1
Mike AylingWe still wear masks in crowded areas.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

So we get to Zurich on time, our luggage comes out but no bikes. We can see them using Find My air tags, so we know they are here - plus we saw them being loaded. So we wait 1/2 hour, go to lost luggage, 45 min time wasted, he cannot find any record of them. Fine, finally we get out our iphones and start walking down this cavernous arrivals hall. omg, 300 m later, two bike boxes just sitting there! Yay, but we only have 1 hour to put them together, and get to the train station and the right platform and the right car (you make bike reservations with assigned places in Switzerland). Run through terminal, take elevator, outside looking for train station. Elevator one at a time to platform 5.  Half meter high steps into train. Panniers must come off.  Whistle blows and....We make it with - oh, about 1 minute to spare. And the bikes got a lovely view of the lakes along the way.

Room with a view (for bikes too)!
Heart 3 Comment 0

We made the next 2 connections as well, with seconds to spare on each. Finally in Andermatt, and checking the forecast. Hmmm, we may not be able to do the Furka after all..rain forecast. Maybe one more train...

Today's ride: 1 km (1 miles)
Total: 1 km (1 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Steve Miller/GrampiesThis entry had it all - anticipation, suspense, anxiety, and a thrilling and satisfying conclusion. Well done.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith ClassenWow - did you check your blood pressure and heart rate? Glad you made it to Andermatt!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith ClassenAnd really too bad about the rain forecast!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick ParnoTo Steve Miller/GrampiesSteve, not as poetic as you, perhaps, but we were so tired after this 24 hr, 5 connection journey!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick ParnoTo Keith ClassenThx Keith. It sure looks like rain, esp. on the other side of the pass. We may just bike up partway and maybe train back here on a sunny day.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago