Geneva to Seyssel - On the Rhone Again.... - CycleBlaze

September 30, 2023

Geneva to Seyssel

Being a chocaholic, I had seen these stores everywhere in Geneva called Laderach's chocolate, so I finally tried some and omg, it is fantastic. How can chocolate taste so different? Elixar of the gods.

Look out Purdys, there is a new kid in town.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Last night, we decided to go for a walk before dinner, and ended up finding a people watching spot along the Rhone, just up from Lac Leman.

Almost empty when we arrive.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It slowly fills up with really interesting people. This couple had a spirited conversation even when he got on the phone. And then those socks just cried out for a photo.

Green socks.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Tam PaShe knew he was faking that call! She just kept talking
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

After we had a drink and decided to order some food, the patio had really filled up. One waitress, about 60 people. Sheesh! You can see her scurrying to get someone's order.

Do you see Marjory? The streetside cafe has filled up!
Heart 1 Comment 0

So we decided to get out earlier this morning as we knew there would be significant uphill (~600m) today. Saturday morning (0900) in Geneva was fairly busy, and there were bike lanes most places, but often between the cars and the trams/buses. Yikes! I took this pic really quickly at a stoplight.

Harrowing to ride between cars and trams.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesAlways the nervous anticipation of a potential tram sneaking up on you from behind.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick Parnosomehow being in the middle is worse!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

After about 10 km of bike lanes on roads, we finally "get out of town" and see some green fields and proper lanes. Stress levels go down in concert with noise levels from cars whizzing by.

Finally, a bike trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Eventually we do get away from the roads. Today's ride, although enjoyable, was dominated by roads. Probably 50% of today was on roads with no bike lane and significant traffic.

Getting out into the countryside.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Tam PaNobody on the trails it seems like!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick ParnoNot very many. And very few ebikes!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

There was a stretch through a dark forest which was beautiful - in spite of the steep climb in the middle of it. Somewhere here we passed into France but we never saw the border sign.

Entering the dark forest.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We pass this cute town with umbrellas strung up, so I stop to ask this fellow you see below why they have it. My French is much better speaking than listening (Marjory would say my English has the same issue), but he said it was for a concert they were having and....that's all I got.

Pourquoi vous avez les ombrelles ici? Hmmm?
Heart 2 Comment 4
Steve Miller/GrampiesPerhaps many wives feel that husbands, in general, lack listening skills?
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick Parnoperhaps. now that's diplomatic!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Tam PaTo deter birds from sitting up there?
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick Parnonope. it was to advertise an upcoming concert.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

We climbed and climbed for probably 10km with some steep down grades sprinkled in. We got to be quite high above the Rhone as you can see below.

The Rhone river far below us.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Lyle McLeodI recognize this! Looks like the exact spot we took this pic in 2018 https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/ltkk2018/ahhh-france-as-we-remember-it-day-5-geneva-to-chanaz/#21644_3496112_PA080222__2_
Did you see the castle /fort built into the west bank of the Rhone a few km’s later?
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick Parnoi don't recall a castle, although by that time I was focused on dodging cars racing up that incline!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Shortly after this, we climbed some more. Eventually we got on a very quiet D road which only had occasional cars and was quite pretty.

This is more like it!
Heart 1 Comment 4
Steve Miller/GrampiesAhhh, flat and quiet.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Tam PaNow we are looking like Canada!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick Parnonot so different...
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

The final leg of about 8km is almost all downhill, and quite fun with big loops and bisecting little villages - one had a large wedding ongoing and we rode ride through the crowd. Marjory is much more comfortable climbing than descending, so I had lots of time to read email after these descents.

Pat waiting after a long downhill.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We get on a bike trail as we enter Seyssel, turn a corner and see our destination across the water. How pretty!

Seyssel on the Rhone.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lots of up and down today.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow we are on to St Genix-dur-Gulers.

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 381 km (237 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Anne GallagherThe sun looks nice! I’m curious as to how you chose your route for the day?
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick ParnoAnne, we use the Komoot app, which finds bike routes for you. You csn force it to include a way stop and it will work around your request. Super app, really.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago