Haarlem to The Hague - Two Months of Rhine - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2022

Haarlem to The Hague

wind and rain!

It was darn windy. We watched the weather coming in and kept trying new apps to see if it improved. No joy. Wind was in our face 35-45 kph most of the way today which made the 62 km seem about 100. However, the rain held off until we got into Wassenaar (near The Hague), and that made us very happy!

We originally planned to bike along the coast, next to the sea. But with the wind of that velocity, and rain forecast, we decided on a less scenic, inland route. Still, when we got into Wassenaar, the trees were gorgeous, the cycle path was perfect, and we got to see the town we used to live in, saw the house the Coits (friends) lived in, and saw the Canadian embassy.

houses had boats tied up beside their yards. here, S of Haarlem
Heart 7 Comment 2
Bonnie MifsudLove the bike paths!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick Parnoof course I am showing the best ones! but overall, amazing bike accommodation in Holland. The red spongy trails were my favorite though.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

You can see the weather doesn't look so bad! What you cannot see of course, is the wind. We are a few km inland from the sea, heading south.

in Wassenaar, very pretty trees
Heart 2 Comment 0

The town we used to live in, although not in this gorgeous area. This cycling was hard to beat. Flat, with incredible scenery. The houses here were enormous on beautiful grounds (somewhat hidden) and are probably worth a fortune.

the entrance to the Canadian embassy grounds
Heart 2 Comment 2
Parno HeatherThat's cool!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick Parnoyes, we remembered it from living here!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

These embassy grounds were given to Canada by a grateful nation for keeping Queen Beatrice safe during WW2 (in Canada), and for being a big part of the liberation force in Holland. They stretch along this road for about a km or so, and must be hectares in size. The Netherlands has asked if they could have this property back, but so far, Canada has demurred. I can't imagine how much this land is worth.

actually inside The Hague only 2km from our hotel in the city center!
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bonnie MifsudSo beautiful!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick Parnowe kept commenting, how can we be in the city?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We were astounded by these paths inside the city. Den Haag (The Hague) is a large, important city yet the cycle paths felt like you were in a vast forest (ok except for the bus stop in the photo). We exited this forest and emerged into the city center, 0.7 km from our hotel. The trees had kept most of the rain off, and now we realized that it was really coming down! The Novotel had a locked bike storage place, the hot shower felt so good!

Now for that ice wine we brought...

this was the planned route, but the high winds and rain decided us to bike more inland, although roughly the same direction and distance
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 142 km (88 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 1
David SwordNice — great distance covered too.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago