Bregenz to Lindau - Two Months of Rhine - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2022

Bregenz to Lindau

lovely touristic spot

Short ride today, and a 2 night stay at a fantastic hotel in beautiful Lindau. We are on the Bodensee (sometimes called Lake Constance after the town Konstanz on the west end of the lake), and crossed into Germany in the brief ride.  We entered the tourist town of Bregenz proper (we were in a suburb called Lauterach last night), and immediately felt the charm.

cute tourist town of Bregenz
Heart 3 Comment 0

Shopkeepers were opening up, wheeling out their displays. Many were already people-watching, sipping their morning espresso from small round tables. Once we got to the sea, we sat for about 20 minutes soaking up the view. 

enjoying the cool temps and the view in Bregenz
Heart 4 Comment 0

We started riding the perimeter, and you can see the amazing infrastructure around this whole "sea" - a large lake. The northern side that we are on is in Germany, the southern side is in Switzerland, and Bregenz is in Austria.

leaving Bregenz riding the Bodensee perimeter
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was fairly busy - and this is a Tuesday. I bet the weekends are packed.

amazing cycle paths (separate walkways)
Heart 2 Comment 0

As we biked, we kept getting glimpses of Lindau, which has a mainland section of town, and a smaller, old town out on an island - accessible by causeway.

first real glimpse of Lindau as we biked the perimeter
Heart 1 Comment 0

As we arrived a little early to check in, they stored our luggage and felt the bikes without our panniers. Sure is easy to go up hills! We are exploring a bit on bikes before we walk around, and expect to go on a bike ride tomorrow away from the sea.

our hotel on the right, facing the sea
Heart 3 Comment 0

Now on the sea side of our hotel (Reutemann), and the restaurant where we will eat tonight. Scads of people walking along and huge tour boats plying the waters.

seaside of our hotel, they love their dogs!
Heart 3 Comment 3
David SwordCool - the Dash Hounds !
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick Parnothey had 6 little dogs!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Marjory SwordTo David SwordAre you calling me a dog?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Cobblestone streets in this old town section, it was pedestrian and bikes only. A few resident cars came thru these narrow streets from time to time which was a little hairy. Several buildings were painted like the one shown below, but we don't really know why. Quite detailed and not religious scenes.

detailed frescoes on facades of buildings - yr 1569
Heart 5 Comment 0

We then stored our bikes and walked about town, enjoying the change of pace. Such a tourist town, and hopping! A contrast with the last 10 days of quiet rides, and occasional riders. 

Then its dinner with the beautiful view below.

Lindau harbour
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 399 km (248 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Susan SagertLooks like you're enjoying some gorgeous weather! Loving the photos. x
Reply to this comment
1 year ago