A walk about old town Zurich - Two Months of Rhine - CycleBlaze

June 11, 2022

A walk about old town Zurich

This section will be brief on comments since it is supposed to be a bicycle blog, not a Zurich tour! To orient you, here is a model of Zurich, with Lake Zurich to the right. The Limmat River is at the top.

a wooden model of Zurich
Heart 1 Comment 0

We started out with a "free" walking tour, something we do quite often in cities. Of course, you give them a substantial tip at the end of the "free" tour, but I have to say the crowd below took us aback at first. Once they split it up by language, there were only about 15 in our group.

the original crowd for the walking tour
Heart 2 Comment 0

Everything here is VERY expensive. Coffee and tea this morning at McD's was $20. However, most things are also VERY high quality. Another example, the kitchen store below featured many wonderful products, but no bargains!

a $20,000 hand cranked meat slicer in kitchen store
Heart 0 Comment 2
Tam PaThis looks deadly!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick Parnono kidding. why would you need this??
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The Grosmunster (large monastery) had windows painted by Chagal, who apparently charged 200,000 Swiss francs for  them.

Chagal's painted glass windows
Heart 4 Comment 0

Clean mountain water at dozens (hundreds?) of fountains throughout downtown. Tasted pure and cold.

fill up with mountain water throughout downtown
Heart 3 Comment 0

The Limmat river coming through town was very picturesque. Restaurants and riverwalks lined the river on both sides for as far as we walked.

mountains in the distance
Heart 4 Comment 0

We are talking expensive real estate with high end stores and art galleries.

towards Lake Zurich
Heart 3 Comment 0

The clock tower you see below right houses the largest church-mounted clock in the world, 2 meters larger than Big Ben of London.

The clock on the right is 8.7 meters across
Heart 3 Comment 0

Getting ready to start our riding from Chur tomorrow after a 90 minute train ride towards the Rhine.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Ellie DurwardExciting adventure! Awesome memories when I see Zurich through your lense. The weather looks fantastic too!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick ParnoTo Ellie DurwardIt is sure different than Canmore. It was 28 today, and will be even hotter tomorrow. Sunny and warm, fantastic!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kirsten KaarsooEnjoy your ride tomorrow. I will be thinking of you as we prepare to head back to rainy Canmore!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago