Swiss Sojourn - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2018

Swiss Sojourn

Trains, boats, mountains and lakes.

August 22 Wednesday 

Swiss Sojourn

Trains, boats, mountains and lakes.

An early start puts us on the train to Lucerne, with wonderful views as we glide alongside the sparkling blue lake at speed. The exit from Lucerne’s station must be the world’s most picturesque- one emerges from the world of concrete and passageways below to a scene of lake, vintage ferry boats on blue water and hillsides dotted with tree surrounded houses and even the odd castle.

Lucerne station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The assault on the senses when exiting from the station on such a day is exhilarating.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We board the ‘D S Unterwolden’ a beautifully maintained paddle steamer, and take a tour of Lake Lucerne. The enormity of the distant mountains, the various watercraft and the houses and mansions on the hillsides create images that are almost surreal. It’s a little like staring at a perfect painting or photograph.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The bowels of the boat’s engine room is on display for all to see,  the massive piston rods and cam shaft turning in beautifully oiled synchronicity. Some parts are painted in reds and greens. Through a glass panel it’s possible to see the frenzy of the water as the paddle wheel turns at speed.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Aboard ‘D S Unterwolden’.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A happy crew.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Stopping off, we swim in the clear water of the lake, which is reasonably warm. Later, having left the boat we walk through the town, heavily touristed, to see the the Lion Monument dedicated to 600 Swiss guards who died protecting the French royal household of Louis XVI. The lion, looking very like Aslam, of ‘Lion Witch And Wardrobe ‘ fame, depicts a lion impaled on a spear.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kapellbrucke, Lucerne. Thought to have been the lighthouse, or lucern, for the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chateau Gutsch- the fairytale castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back on our train, we return to Yverdon by climbing over the pass to Interlaken, via Brunig, Brienz and Meiningen ( scene of Sherlock Holme’s demise). The steep part of the journey is on a notched rail and the views, despite impending rain include lakes, mountains and verdant pastures, somehow trimmed to the standard of a suburban front lawn.

Giswil
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lungerer See
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Meiringen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brienz BE
Heart 0 Comment 0

Continuing along Lake Thon, we spot the path we’d walked along for a swim almost exactly two years ago. At Bern, we recognise various spots too, and here we change trains. With one last change at Biel Bienne, we arrive home in Yverdon at about 9:00. 

Over a cup of English breakfast tea we reflect gratefully on a most entertaining journey that has shown us so much of this country in such a short time.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0