Strasbourg to Obernai - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

August 17, 2018

Strasbourg to Obernai

Wine country -there’s Riesling in them thar hills..And Pinot Gris, and Gewurtztraminer.

August 17 Friday 43kms

Strasbourg to Obernai

Wine country -there’s Riesling in them thar hills.. And Pinot Gris, and Gewurtztraminer.

Our plan for the next few days is to head south to Basel via one of the many wine country routes. We have an easy and pleasant route out of Strasbourg. There are a number of day trippers, bike hiring tourists and seriously speeding men and women in Lycra. It doesn’t pay to hold them up - slight contretemps with a mammil, for which other cyclists commiserate.

There are several options for the route south to Basel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The route continues along the canal much of the way, then through towns which are starting to have a more German look with gatehouses at the entrance to towns, half timbered buildings and grand churches and cathedrals. Decorative flowers bloom in strategically placed window boxes and tubs and cafes and restaurants are full of eaters and drinkers. 

Pleasant start to day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ernolsheim-Bruche
Heart 0 Comment 0

After Molshiem we stop at an area that has a band stand which first provides shade from the sun then shelter from the sudden downpour. We lunch there, then head up through vignobles. So many rows of ripe grapes, I have to try a few. The white are very sweet and the small black ones quite tangy. We’ve found an abundance of ripe fruit on this route, particularly damsons. Apples, fruiting right beside the trail, are not quite ready yet, sadly.

The hill climbs, not experienced for a while, are rather steep at first but then quite manageable. It’s hot again in Rosheim where the pretty Romanesque church has an exhibition of tapestry. Much of it looking like scenes from Lord of the Rings with a slightly Christian bent and without the hobbits. Interesting. 

Rosheim
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Rosheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The alms collector on the tiles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Rosheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The church itself has two figures squatting on the roof. The curating woman explains  why and I understand the gist - that one was asking for alms the other giving thanks,  but why on the roof, I’m not sure.

On to Obernai, just as small hill away-  big cathedral and big camping. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The campground has very good facilities, though the weather has had an impact on greenery- hard to peg the tent and a little dusty in places. It’s Uncle ben’s and Tuna, with the last of the eggs and tomatoes for dinner. We also polish off the mirabelles and the last of the Brie with sweet and salty biscuits and a cuppa.  A band portentously called ‘Dallas Revisited’ is warming up - 60s & 70s covers. ‘Ah see a red door..’ 

We hit the hay. ‘Ahh see a baaaad  moon raaahzing.....’

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 3,240 km (2,012 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0