Spittal am Drau to Villach - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2018

Spittal am Drau to Villach

Sun, Chokos and riding by the river.

September 5 Wednesday 48kms

Spittal an Der Drau to Villach 

Sun, Chokos and riding by the river.

We go into Spittal Centro and have Ann’s derailleur checked again. Still slipping, and a small adjustment helps.

It's a mild morning. We spot the Germans and another touring couple we have seen in Böckstein. We Meet again over the course of the day.

When following an "Umleiting" sign, we detour down a suburban street where an umbrella stand attracts our attention. We exchange greetings with the Frau who is replenishing the apples and plums, and identify as Neuseelanders. She starts a story, then disappears inside, emerging with some Chokos! She believes there is some association between NZ and this vegetable. In the excitement, her English improves and she tells of a niece in Wellington. Then as her husband in blue overalls joins the party, she explains that they have been in Austria for 73 years, having come over the mountain in 1945 from Slovenia. Such encounters make a day special. We leave her with the Chokos since they have never been a vegetable which holds a place in our hearts.

The dreaded Chokos- aN unexpected reminder of home.
Heart 0 Comment 0

And the joy continues as we ride beside the river Drau, amid conifers and pine scent, and with blue mountains rising in the distance. This part of the route is well served with picnic spots and water. We could have charged our bikes at our lunch stop had we been going electric.

Crossing the Drau. This long river goes all the way to the Balkans and further, eventually joining the Danube.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Drau which becomes The Drava.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These airborne seed clusters were so thick as to resemble snow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We cross the river and take the greenway into Villach. We do not go to the centre as the camping ground is across the river and out of town. The bridge is mastered, the railway crossed, the St Johann road identified, the motorway avoided, but it somehow goes awry and we are still 3.8 km from camp. Michael spies a zimmer sign, and before you know it, we are upstairs in a lovely room with a mountain view. Weather warm enough for camping is also ideal for a picnic dinner on the balcony.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kepa at sunset- part of the Mittagskogel Range.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 3,806 km (2,364 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0