Southampton to Salisbury. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

July 2, 2018

Southampton to Salisbury.

Leafy backroads to the Cathedral Town.

July 2nd Monday 48kms

 Southampton to Salisbury. 

Leafy backroads to the Cathedral Town.

By 9:30am we are following Mike who has generously offered to take us as far as Romsey, a good 20kms along the way to Salisbury. No slouch in the saddle, he sets  a good pace with assurance and as we duck and weave our way through the backstreets, woody glades and riverside trails of Southampton, it is clear he knows  where he’s going even if we only have  a vague idea.

Riverside Park Southampton.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Romsey- on our own after this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cycling stranger who latched on to us gets advice. He been cycling in Morocco and found England’s heat comparable.
Heart 0 Comment 0


We farewell  him at Romsey and head off following the Sustrans Route sign displayed on reasonably prominently placed posts.. We cycle on through a series  of villages: Lockerley, East Dean, up Moody’s Hill and Long Drive. Traffic is minimal and there are shady lanes so we don’t  suffer too much from the sun. 

East Grimstead
Heart 0 Comment 0
Alderbury
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


Salisbury’s superb cathedral spire soon looms on the horizon and we cycle through the town and buy some food for lunch which we share on a bench in the shade of the Cathedral grounds. This beautiful Cathedral sitting on a spread of green surrounded by shady trees provides a haven from the midday heat.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


There is a burst of activity around the front of the cathedral as several schools that had been holding end of year ceremonies are  addressed by the bishop and this is followed by photo taking sessions.

Salisbury city gates.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our campground is under Old Sarum.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Beneath the hill upon which sits the ancient fort of Old Sarum is a campground and here we pitch our tent. More years ago than I care to remember, Ann and I  climbed that hill together and marvelled at  the view. This time we are  content to sit and dine on spaghetti and salad and watch as the sun sets behind it.

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,956 km (1,215 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0