Schoonhaven to ‘S Hertogenbosch - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

July 29, 2018

Schoonhaven to ‘S Hertogenbosch

Away with the ferries. Spent day negotiating waterways, crossing rivers, combating gusty winds and avoiding Sunday cyclists.

July 29 Sunday 66kms

Schoonhaven to S- Hertogenbosch

Away with the ferries. Spent day negotiating waterways, crossing rivers, combating gusty winds and avoiding Sunday cyclists. 

Breakfast well and our departure is a little late after chatting to the French family next door and the other young French couple who are cycling.  

Crossing the Lek.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We cross the Lek by ferry with the intention of heading in a south easterly direction. There are so many options of routes, we are certainly spoilt for choice. We are able to follow the numbers on our map. They go from point to point and distances are provided. 

Men only club?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Groot-Ammers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunday cycling. Goudriaan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arkel
Heart 0 Comment 0

It’s Sunday and the cycle paths are busy with day trippers, picnickers and church goers. Schoonhaven church has a carillon bell as well as one that tolls. We pass through little hamlets, over waterways, looking out to the open flat landscape. 

In the afternoon the wind comes up and we even suffer a few squally showers. We cross the Waal on another ferry. This part of the river is quite wide and there are several massive barges ploughing their way ahead. Along the shore, there are sandy beaches and inlets where people swim and enjoy boating.

Gorinchem. Interesting signage when rendered into English.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gorinchem
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dalem
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vuren
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swimmers enjoying the sandy beaches.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Herwijnen river crossing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our goal is Kastell Camping- a nature park, as in appreciating wildlife. En route there is another ferry crossing but as this is Sunday, it’s not running. Instead we complete the remaining 6 kilometres on the road. The final section is unsealed- a bit of a novelty. 

On arrival a chap in a little railway carriage welcomes. It’s €12 each- not bargain basement but ok, though the facilities are restricted to 2 showers and 2 toilets. The campground is adjacent to the river where people are swimming though there’s a bit of green slime to negotiate before reaching deeper water. We opt for a shower. Everyone around us is very friendly and some have that San Francisco ‘68 hippy look, but with upmarket equipment. 

We finish our cheese and cucumber, tomatoes, brot and soup. A rooster with his harem of hens wanders about. Quiet descends.

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 2,611 km (1,621 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0