Salzburg to Golling - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

September 1, 2018

Salzburg to Golling

Water, water everywhere.

September 1st Saturday 33kms

Salzburg to Golling

Water, water everywhere.

Still raining - we get away by 9:30. Extra warm layers required for 16 degrees today. Ann's merino has long sleeves and she has overpants. Michael did think about polyprops when packing , but just has a short sleeved merino. Fortunately the Ground Effect jackets keep out the worst of the rain, so we manage the planned 30 km. If we take it slowly, the mist may lift and we will see the mountains.

We’re heading for Bad Gastein just beyond which a short train ride takes us through the mountain on the Tauern motorail train.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Königsseeache
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taxach-Rif
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hallein
Heart 0 Comment 0

The markers for the trail are generally clear and the surface is well compounded gravel. The Salzach has a milky look as it pours furiously over the rocks out of Salzburg. We keep beside it til the Hallein chocolate stop. Then we have a couple of climbs around the steep meadows, the tops covered in cloud. Shame about missing the  view- there’s another climb not long after Weissenbach and we go under the autobahn.

Chocolate stop at Hallein.
Heart 0 Comment 0
......on a good day. What we’re missing.
Heart 0 Comment 0

By 12pm we have reached the Golling wasserfall so we detour up to the car park. There is an fee of 3 euros in the entry kiosk, which gives us a momentary sensory experience of warmth and coffee . A 400 m walk up to the falls is worth the steps. It is impressive. We pass an old mill , one of seven in past years, which processed the grain that grew in this area.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kuchl
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mill house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Golling Wasserfall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Too chilly and wet for the rest of the climb to the ober wasserfall, so back to bikes and Golling, just a few kilometres away.

An early check in to Gasthaus Golderne Traube is appreciated. We stash our bikes in the garage and take the lift to 208. It's not long before the wet gear is drying on the camping clothesline, and the temperature that these places run at has warmed us. We have a lovely large room with oak doors and furniture.

The Main Street is quiet and closed on Saturday. Plenty of hotels and pensions. The Spar is open til 7pm and has the customary African man outside , selling an obscure newspaper. Another reminder of the insignificance of our trials.

Today's ride: 33 km (20 miles)
Total: 3,617 km (2,246 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0