Salin-de-Giraud to Aigues-Mortes - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2018

Salin-de-Giraud to Aigues-Mortes

Dig those Digues- Bikes on Dikes and a swim in the Mediterranean.



5th June Tuesday 67kms

Salin-de-Giraud to Aigues-Mortes 

Dig those Digues- Bikes on Dikes and a swim in the Mediterranean.

From the semi barren landscape of our newly created campground we head for the digues. These are the dikes which run across the  Camargue National Park. For cycling, their surface is a little dodgy at the start (dodging potholes and ruts) but it soon improves to a firm, if unsealed track.

Looking forward to a day on the Camargue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Far out phare!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The mozzies are few but there is plentiful bird life, the pink flamingos being perhaps the most spectacular. They are an odd looking bird - ungainly yet graceful at the same time, poking their heads under the surface of the water for whatever takes their fancy. Apparently they are long livers- 50 years, and they don’t reach the pink of condition until 5 years.

Foraging in style.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the pink!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The quiet of the area is striking especially after days filled with traffic noise. Small birds flit about and the horizon stretches away forever. In addition, I see two snakes, one alive and one dead, and an animal we initially thought was a cat, casually standing in the middle of the track, but on closer inspection turns out to be  a large stoat. 

At the halfway point on the route, stands the Phare de la Gacholle which has shone out since the early 19th century. From this point a considerable number of cycling day trippers, out from Saintes Maries dela Mer, begin approaching us. Shouldn’t they have been at work? 

Phare de la Gacholle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

There are German, French and Dutch grey nomads in abundance in their camper vans as well as the odd Brit, soaking up the sun.

We reach the Mediterranean!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


Soaking is next on our agenda, as we dive into the waters of the Mediterranean once we reach the coast proper. The area caters for tourists in vast numbers with a 15km stretch of beaches and a massive number of eateries providing paella, bouillabaisse and every other fishy dish possible. The towns look reasonably tasteful in appearance, though, with less of the garishness of some Riviera beach spots.

Aigues-Mortes walls.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have allowed ourselves luxury at a moderate prix by staying in the 'Cœur of the Ramparts' of Aigues-Mortes, a walled town a little like Carcassonne.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The small unit at ground level is parfait in every way with a kitchen, microwave and a bed twice the width of our tent! Joachim immediately recognises  us and greets us as we came down his small rue. Are we so obvious? Having left behind his life in Paris, he tells  us that he never misses the hurley burley of his former world and loves this, the quieter area of his childhood.

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 673 km (418 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0