Laval to Ambrieres-les-Vallees. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

June 26, 2018

Laval to Ambrieres-les-Vallees.

Off piste early then shady day cycling to the lac.

June 26 Tuesday 55kms

Laval to the Ambrières-les-Vallées

Off piste early then shady day cycling to the lac.

Left hostel after a basic but adequate breakfast - servings carefully meted out. I chat to the young manager about the origin of the town’s name. He assures me that it wasn’t after the infamous politician but rather the word ‘val’. This is also the second hostel where young African men are hosted and from what we could observe, taken to school/ college by a local caregiver.

Laval. A beautiful morning for cycling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Following the Mayenne.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


Buying a new chambre d’air (tube) necessitates a ride somewhat off piste but Ann finds a route which puts us back to the river directly, though it necessitates passing close to working heavy machinery which gives us a liberal coating of dirt and dust.

Montflours.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Montflours for ice creams.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

From there, the day is one of enjoying cycling in the shade, following firstly the river, then an old railway line. The surface is  well compacted and allows for a good speed. 

Cool and shady cycling along old railway line.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our camping ground of choice is at Ambrières-les-Vallées, in quite a hilly area and beside a lake. The river and lake water here is decidedly brown, though not necessarily polluted- unappealing perhaps. The camp has access to a beautiful pool though, and we make  the most of it. The trees and the greenery make for an attractive campground setting.

Trees for shade and tying clothes line to- bonus!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 1,749 km (1,086 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0