La Rochelle to Damvix - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2018

La Rochelle to Damvix

A Green and watery day- very Wind in the Willows

We Monday June 18th. 48 Kms

 La Rochelle to Damvix.

A green and watery day. Very Wind in The Willows.

We follow the Napoleonic Canal out of La Rochelle as the route climbs up and up. An information post tells us that the canal continues on into a tunnel 180 metres long and took 60 years to build. We continue across country- little lanes, crops of green and gold. This area has many canals and waterways. Draining the Marais commenced as early as the 13th century and the activity was led by local monks.

Watching children walking to school from our hotel window.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Starting the day- sometimes hard to wrench oneself away, but this day promises an interesting route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
La Francette!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Things to lock forward to.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The path is often rough and slows us up but we reach Marans just after midday. We miss a sign, but come into town by road and find the centre ville. It is a pretty canal town and would have made a pleasant restaurant stop but we have brought lunch with us.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Périgny
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dampierre sur Mer
Heart 0 Comment 0
Andilly
Heart 0 Comment 0
Once a canal between La Rochelle and Marans.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sharing the route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guess which team they support.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There are many boats offering river cruises. Our afternoon consists of crisscrossing more canals bordered by low cottages and people fishing, willows dipping in the water and the air echoes with birdsong.

The doughty poilu.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marans
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
L’Ile-d’Elle
Heart 0 Comment 0
At Jean de Liversay
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marais country.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was the colour scheme for many buildings, the blue shutters being particularly distinctive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrive in Danvix, a small town with a campground across the river. It is  a beautiful spot with a covered picnic area and tables and a good sanitation block.


Damvix
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Camping Damvix.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We cycle back to town and find a small ‘Casino’ with minimal supplies but we manage to find yoghurt and fruit for breakfast. The man on the till asks us if we are English and is very pleased to hear that we are Kiwis. He shows us his Abs shirt. Back at camp we cook our spaghetti and enjoy a full bodied red. Ann manages to rustle up a beautiful fruit flan for afters. Then it’s a hot shower and bed; off to sleep to the soft tones of an accordion. 

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,313 km (815 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0