La Brosse to Lyon - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2018

La Brosse to Lyon

Bugey Knights and rolling days.

27th May Sunday 2018 

61kms

La Brosse to Lyon 

Bugey Knights and rolling days.

Leave camping Beausejour  early as there is little to hold us, despite 5 minutes before departure finally cracking the wifi code. With Lyon looming at the end of 60 plus kilometres, it is time to go! (Ann’s exclamation).

Opting for a campground within proximity of a rather large nuclear power plant (the campground management thoughtfully provided a set of instructions in case of nuclear meltdown) hasn’t  bothered us, although when the night was rent asunder with massive sheets of yellow lightning followed by extremely loud rolling reverberations, we might have had second thoughts.

Hovering on the horizon.
Heart 0 Comment 0

 Bugey, was once a fief of the Holy Roman Empire, until it came under the power of House of Savoie. The area has a rich history and culture and even its own language. The temptation to say ‘let’s Bugey ‘ becomes overwhelming after a while.

The disappearing cycle path- La Balme-Les-Grottes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hières-sur-Amby for breakfast!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The route down to Lyon passes through beautiful green valleys and towns of ancient stone, while above, the high limestone bluffs dominate the skyline.

Local wildlife.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hières-sur-Amby
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vernas
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


We have perfect weather for cycling- completely calm and slightly overcast; a contrast to the previous day’s heat. The path is sealed almost all the way and at some points we reach a sensational 30+mph!

Until now, signage has been brilliant but the ‘itineraire provisional’ requires some creativity which Ann duly provides with map reading skills that take us slightly off piste but deliver us directly back to the Rhône Route via a cross country rockyish track.

Geneva far behind us. Approaching Lyon’s Grand Parc.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Approaching Lyon the route is raised on high and there are views of blue water on both sides as well as the ubiquitous high rises one sees on the approach to many French cities. Being a Sunday, cyclists are out in force- families, couples and groups. Despite the ‘baignade interdit ‘ groups of boys are  gathered by the waters edge. The Rhône looks ‘green as a dream and deep as death’ as Rupert Brooke has said, and the way that it whisks along with mini whirlpools encourages restraint.

Vernas
Heart 0 Comment 0

Following a few kms unintentional deviation we lunch in the Parc naturel. It is full of mixed culture groups picnicking  and enjoying a beautiful Lyonnaise day. Thirst is upon us with no fountains in sight and the vision of tables laden with a variety of drinks is almost too much. However we lunch on baguettes, Camembert and our last mouthful of water. 

The trail then delivers us effortlessly to our hotel Savoie in the centre of the city and one street back from the river. Riding into the vast Place Bellecour, the warm evening breeze provides a balmy welcome to hot and weary travelers.

The scene greeting our arrival in Lyon.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 240 km (149 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0