Het Inj to Brommelen - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

August 2, 2018

Het Inj to Brommelen

Green allotments campsite, past Operation Market Garden memorials to White Town and fizz boats on the Maas.

Thursday 2nd August 55kms

Het Inj to Brommelen

Green allotments campsite, past Operation Market Garden memorials to White Town and fizz boats on the Maas. 

Leave the beans and courgettes of the allotment campsite ‘mini camping’ and head south. 

Another hot start.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The sky, thank goodness is a little overcast and we make good progress through a mix of housing and rural land. Tolerance of the odiferous practice of spreading manure on fields would need to be high around much of the Dutch countryside.  

Lateraalkanaal Linne-Buggenum
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fuel tanker on canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We reach the ‘White Town’, Thorn, so called because of a practice from the days of Napoleonic conquest when citizens were taxed according to the number of windows they had. Being thrifty, they bricked up said windows and painted their houses white to hide all traces. A clever ruse for the time and while the windows have now been reinstalled the whiteout persists.

Thorn - ‘White Town.’ A clever tax evasion ruse. When a window closes, a door opens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Abdijkerk Thorn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


Thorn is on the Maas and plenty of river activity is evident on another hot day - fizz boats, barges, launches and even jet skis burbled up and down. Interestingly Dutch adults seem to eschew sunhats and often so do their children. Frequently they come cycling towards us with the breeze, or what little there is of it, blowing through free flowing locks, or what little there are of them.

These swimmers looked like they were enjoying themselves and we were tempted to join them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Towards evening, at Brommelen, we find a campground which covers an enormous area but is practically empty. We have so much choice of sites, we find it hard to decide. We park our tent in a space beautifully shaded by tall trees- no solar for the power cell, but no matter. Our late arrival means the hardship of eating schnitzel, salad and frites at the restaurant. Tough!

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 2,782 km (1,728 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0