Châteauneuf-du-Pape to Avignon - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2018

Châteauneuf-du-Pape to Avignon

Sur Le Pont d’Avignon

June 2 Saturday  25kms

Châteauneuf-du-Pape to Avignon 

Not far to go today, so pack slowly allowing tent to dry. Neighbouring Dutch woman in caravan is shaking the mats, a young family with child in bike buggy is juggling the childcare and packing duties. The motorbike convention is moving on, shiny chrome and leathers.

Ann’s velo ready to go.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Avignon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cruising on Le Rhône.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cycling back to camping.
Heart 0 Comment 0
L’Ile de Barthelasse.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stop for a departure coffee and internet fix and manager confirms we are NZers. He and wife spent 4 weeks there in February. Enjoyed their visit.

Easy route to Avignon through Sourges then the suburbs. Spot a Decathlon sign as we cross motorway. Grateful to have my gears adjusted, find extra water bottles and a small pack for Michael.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Avignon’s partial bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Palace of Papes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Enter the walled city of Avignon awash with tourists, shops full of shoes and high fashion, and the lines of eateries , their tables set for the next meal.

Office of Tourisme provide essential information and point us in direction of water fountain and camping. Through  Olio gate across the Rhone to the island overlooking the Pont d'Avignon.

Camping du Pont has a pool. One can feel the inner core cool down completely. Then on unladen bikes we cycle back and around the narrow streets of the old city, stop for Carrefour necessities and return to camp for a relaxed evening meal.

Camping Avignon.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 513 km (319 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0