Ampsin to Namur. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2018

Ampsin to Namur.

Bridges, barges and Belgian beer.

August 6 Monday 52kms

Ampsin to Namur. 

Bridges, barges and Belgian beer.

We breakfast with our hosts Laurent and Stephanie and then leave them as they head off on their day’s commitments. 

Huy presents a pretty picture beside the river and its bridges. The Cathedral is closed, but we find and admire the 16th century carved "Bethlehem " portal.

Invitation only.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Huy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ampsin
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

A good path follows the river, past a a quarry, cement works, and a sugar factory, interspersed with wooded hills and rocky outcrops. 

Grass has succumbed to heat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

River barges keep pace. One is being offloaded of its sandy cargo as we dart past, thankful not to be the the truck driver who is having to work in this heat. Our water and shade stops are frequent.

Barges of every shape and size ply the Meuse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quarrying is big business here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This enormous barge- skilfully manoeuvred into position.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The slipway for barge launching- a sideways slide.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Andenne - lunch in the shade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Andenne- Maizeret
Heart 0 Comment 0


Namur is on the opposite bank. We sit outside at a bar with a view of the River and the impressive citadel which guards the capital of Wallonia. (One of three regions in Belgium). It shows little evidence of the massive bombardment it suffered in WW1.

The Morte Subite (Sudden Death) beer is thirst quenching and hopefully does not impair our map reading skills as we plot our way to our Warmshowers hosts. Belgian beer has a higher alcohol content than its antipodean equivalent.

Sudden revival.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Namur-Erpent
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Namur- the fortress.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Belfry of Namur
Heart 0 Comment 0


In the centre of Namur, a photographic exhibition details the reprinted images from a 1917 project. German photographers recorded images of Belgian monuments and buildings. The glass plates had been stored and now recovered.

Road works and reconstruction impede progress somewhat, heat slows us and there are hills! But we make it to Dreve Flovanna for welcome shade and cold shower.

It feels like home. Our hosts have cycle toured the Sth Is and the photographic record of their trip adorns the walls of the cottage.

Laurie and Basile recount their NZ adventure as we share a happy evening and meal outdoors. We have met as strangers and will leave as friends.

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 2,934 km (1,822 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0