Abermule to Leamington Spa - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2018 to July 19, 2018

Abermule to Leamington Spa

Train manoeuvres and history walks.

July 17 Tuesday, July 18 Wednesday  and July 19 Thursday  21kms

Abermule to Leamington Spa  to Carlisle.

Train manoeuvres  and history walks.

After 10 days of action and adventure, walking and swimming, fruit picking and partaking of Cherry’s delicious cooking we reluctantly take  our leave of beautiful Rock Mill and our generous friends Rufus and Cherry. We have a slight delay after taking off, as Rufus has had to race after us with Ann’s diary. Once on the towpath of the local canal, we make fairly quick work of the 7 kms to Newtown where we catch the Arriva train to Birmingham. 

We have train manoeuvres down to a fine art now: 1. spot the cycle carriage.    2. Gather bags- one around neck, one pannier on each shoulder and one bag in left hand 3. Hold and steer bike by centre of handlebar 4. Head for the carriage along with a multitude of other passengers. 5. Board train with luggage and bike.

This is not the easiest of manoeuvres but the other passengers and railway officials have been so tolerant and accommodating that the procedure has become fairly painless.

From Birmingham a Cross Country train delivers  us to Leamington Spa. Friend from our 70s London days, Judith, meets us at the station and confirms  what we habe already noticed- the Midlands is in the grip of near drought. Once we have  stowed our bikes in the cellar of their Victorian villa though, the plant filled, shady terrace gives us wonderful respite from the heat. 

Wonderful greens- Pace of life can be quite leisurely at times.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wisden is associated with Leamington Spa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

For anyone interested in architecture, Leamington Spa is a visual delight, including among its buildings, examples from Tudor, Regency and Victorian styles from years past, to Art Deco, brutalist functionality and some pleasant council apartments from the 60s that have stood the test of time. We know this because, Steve, Judith’s partner found us an interesting history walk around the city’s centre and we spend  a couple of intriguing hours on a walking tour.

Steve and friend.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Art Deco style apartments.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Boutique Georgian flat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Regency.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Abode of Napoleon lll, nephew of Napoleon Bonaparte and pretender to throne of French Republic. He lived here for about a year in 1838 and joined in local life, hunting with the Warwickshire Hounds and feted at various balls. He led something of a chequered career but did rebuild Paris in grandiose style.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We also have a quiet walk around Warwick with its castle and Tudor buildings.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Warwick Castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
St Nicolas Church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Postcard for Ella.
Heart 0 Comment 0


Somewhere during our stay I manage to get a haircut- there’s plenty of choice, with any number of hairdressers and barbers available. When our relaxing couple of days at Leamington Spa comes  to an end, we organise ourselves and our bikes and prepare to head north by train to Carlisle. We load our bikes with no difficulty and change at Birmingham New Street for the Glasgow train.

Gradually there is a change of scenery- more stone walls and houses, it’s also hillier and greener. Arriving in the warmth of the afternoon, we check in to the County Hotel and do a brief tour of this attractive red stone town: the castle, the cathedral and the town centre. 

Arrival in Carlisle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Carlisle Gothic Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our first goal is to plan a ride about 10 kms to the town of Wreay, once home to Sarah Losh, an early 19th century luminary who had interests in science, plants, writing, religion and the arts. Having read ‘The Pinecone’, her biography by Jenny Uglow, it is by serendipitous chance that our other goal, the Hadrian’s Wall cycle route should pass so close to the place she lived her stimulating life.

Today's ride: 21 km (13 miles)
Total: 2,228 km (1,384 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0