Neuburg to Kelheim - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

July 26, 2016

Neuburg to Kelheim

We make good mileage, catch a ferry and end the day guests of Frau Glasser.

July 26 Tuesday  72kms

Neuburg to Kelheim.

We make good mileage, catch a ferry and end the day guests of Frau Glasser.

The campground, despite its run down appearance, has good facilities We leave Neuburg  early enjoying the misty morning river.

Neuburg in morning mist.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Departure!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We experience a mixed day- mixed track, mixed weather and mixed terrain. The track when sealed is fast and when unsealed rather gritty.
The run to Ingolstadt is swift and flat. The Munster here is impressive. A mix of old and modern. Rain descends, as is its want, late afternoon, and we learn not to dally in the woods if we wish to avoid hungry mozzies. 

Further down the road at Neustadt we enjoy views of wonderful gardens as we fly past- had trouble here finding a route to Bad Gogging- well you would, wouldn’t you? 

Wood carving- Munster, Ingolstadt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ingolstadt Munster
Heart 0 Comment 0
Modern glass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ingolstadt
Heart 1 Comment 0
Emperor Ludwig IV at the Paradeplatz in front of the Neues Schloss, Ingolstadt.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The last hour of cycling isa little intense as we race through fields of high corn to catch the last ferry at Weltheim for the trip through the gorge to Kelheim.

Pförring.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Donau.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

 On arrival at Weltheim, scene of the ferry terminal and a monstrous sized monastery, all is calm on this broad expanse of green water at a bend in the river, and we join the small gathering of waiting passengers and have a paddle in the relatively clear waters of the Donau.  

Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting for the ferry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A bend on the Donau.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Monastery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our ferry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A tight fit through the gorge.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Ann visits the Benedictine monastery chapel briefly- ‘more baroque than baroque’ is her report. The idea of the ferry trip is to avoid an arduously challenging trail up steep inclines -a no brainer as they say, although the French couple we’ve been periodically meeting, do it the hard way, as we later find out. 

The river journey is shortish- long enough to drink a wheat beer though- but fairly sensational, as the boat runs close to the high rocky cliffs either side of the narrow gorge. Disembarking is accompanied by the ritual evening downpour, so we take refuge in the Rathaus and are given the address of the good Frau Glasser who, after a little searching to find her house, has a room for us and even lets us cook a meal in her garden with onlooking decorative birds and gnomes.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The decorative garden where we cook dinner.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We think the church next door is a wonderfully historic touch until we realise that it acknowledges every hour with a loud peel. Tiredness though, renders us deaf.

 

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 2,095 km (1,301 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0