Dillingen to Neuburg. - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

July 25, 2016

Dillingen to Neuburg.

Ups and downs and glimpses of ever widening Donau. We share some wedding rice, meet vicious mosquitos, and get to know some fellow travellers.

July 25 Monday 71kms

Dillingen to Neuburg.

Ups and downs and glimpses of ever widening Donau. We share some wedding rice, meet vicious mosquitos, and get to know some fellow travellers.

This was a day we enjoy- getting to Ingolstadt in record time and we are impressed by the Romanesque style Munster with its massive organ. Landscapes now follow a familiar pattern- corn, wheat, corn, corn, wheat, wheat, corn. At Donauworth a wedding blocks the path and we are pelted with rice along with the happy couple. We lunch here in a park. The Munster is cool and has beautiful glass. 

Wedding at Schwenningen. We scored some rice.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of many Gasthof of which we might have been tempted to avail ourselves.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rugby line out? Our encounters with unusual statuary continue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch in the park at Donauwörth.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The track surface from here varies from gritty sand to tarseal and there are hills which are quite challenging. It doesn’t pay to slow down in the woods as mosquitoes are in constant attack mode. 

Whose woods these are I think I know.... They belong undoubtedly to the mosquito. No stopping! With apologies to Robert Frost.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It’s a hot day and we have frequent water stops. We meet a French couple from Annecy  and a French family of four. The song from the 60s, “Something in the air” becomes an ear worm as we come across whole towns whose atmosphere is steeped in the odour of the ordure being spread on crops by industrious farmers. These small towns seem to close for lunch just as French towns do.

Intrigued by this sign, but were unable to get a translation, though we were assured it was within the bounds of decency.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Donauwörth historic houses. Pastel shades totally acceptable.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leitheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Watering hole. Leitheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were surprised at the number of these cigarette dispensers in small villages.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Arrive at picturesque Neuberg at about 4:00pm and catch up with another Bordeaux French couple and a pair of young German girls from Munich, one of whom has done an exchange at Auckland’s Epsom Girls.

Approaching Neuburg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Neuburg Schloss.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rustic campground in Neuburg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Young cyclists we kept crossing paths with. From Munich, but one had spent some months at an Auckland school.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The camp  manageress is a young woman with a minute dog. I asked its name which is a pronunciation step too far for me though I try and she seems to approve.

 After we have bought supplies, we return to camp and meet a number of the people we’ve been running into en route. It’s great catching up.

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 2,023 km (1,256 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0