Ulm to Dillingen. - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

July 24, 2016

Ulm to Dillingen.

We explore Ulm and enjoy a day on the radweg along with many local cyclists.

 July 24 Sunday 55kms

Ulm to Dillingen. 

We explore Ulm and enjoy a day on the radweg along with many local cyclists.

Having taken the opportunity of the non camping night, we catch up on laundry and the “blog” despite the fickle internet connection which tests our patience. We persist, while the rain does the same outside.

Sunday morning, though, is clear, and after a decent breakfast we return to Ulm Munster. An impressive gothic structure, it is somehow less ethereal than the French cathedrals. An organ concert is due to start, and accompanies our visit, with huge sound, echoes and high soaring notes. A perfect way to see a Gothic cathedral. 

Ulm Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We marvel at the Lego model of the cathedral in the entrance, try to interpret the restoration info, and note a fellowship plaque from the US army. 

Along the river, everyone is enjoying a sunny Sunday. Families on bikes are a common sight: baby and toddler in towed buggy, older children on their own wheels. 

Our next stop is a biergarten in an apple orchard spotted on the Radweg. Cold beer and apple juice work their magic.  

Biergarten in route.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Later the heat encourages a look out for a swimming place, and we are rewarded. A large artificial ‘see’ in what must once have been a quarry, now serves as the local swimming hole/baths. Locals are in the lake, there is a series of diving platforms and an area for races. Trees shade picnic spots. All free.

Swimming ‘pool’ at Gundelfingen.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just another hour to Dillingen, alongside a busy road, where we circle the town to find the camping platz. It is close to the river. Some familiar faces are there, and so are the mosquitos. In the restaurant area we eat the ubiquitous schnitzel and salad and have no problem with sleep. 

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 1,952 km (1,212 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0