Kelheim to Regensburg - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

July 27, 2016

Kelheim to Regensburg

River traffic, rocky cliffs and pretty houses.

July 27 Wednesday 

Kelheim to Regensburg. 

River traffic, rocky cliffs and pretty houses.

Frau Glasser takes a 10 inch long key to go to unlock the church, then on her return serves a German breakfast of freshly boiled eggs, bread rolls, cheese and cold meats and a pot of coffee. We pay a visit to the little church which is simply decorated, and imagine pilgrims of old making a stop here, on the way to Compostela. 

Then it’s good to be back on trail by the river. Rocky cliffs abut the road, pretty houses are tucked in, colourful with geraniums, and long cargo barges move slowly downstream.

Well stacked.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We approach Regensburg, remaining on the path until we come to the old city which rises from the riverside and port, where we pass through narrow cobbled streets, to the Cathedral. Here is a noisy gathering of young Italian Catholics on way to Prague for this year’s youth congress. They have a collection of musicians whose music inspires a ” line dance” such as we have seen in Brittany and Catalonia. Looks fun, but we need to move to find a cycle shop for another spoke repair. 

Singing, dancing, laughing young pilgrims.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

This is achieved along with a cathedral visit, and a view of merchant houses, palaces, and gardens. The oldest stone bridge is part of the pedestrianised city, and leads across another branch of the river. Getting across rivers and out of towns can be frustrating if one fails to consider these diversions, as we have discovered.

Regensburg Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We wait out the regular thunderstorm before returning to the cycle route and the kayak camping ground, where we meet the Munich girls again .

For the Donau cruisers.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 

Our campground is at the kayak club.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 2,126 km (1,320 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0