Exploring Nantes. - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2016

Exploring Nantes.

We find La Musette and visit the botanical gardens.

June 21 Tuesday  

Exploring Nantes.

We find La Musette and visit the botanical gardens.

Set off with our bikes to explore the town only to be beset by yet another puncture, near Quai  Versailles. By a series of enquiries and a lot of walking, we end up at La Musette – a bike repair place and cafe combined, on Quai Malakof.

Houseboats - Quai Versailles
Heart 0 Comment 0
La Musette and a cafe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We sort  the puncture issue, ordering new tyres and inner tubes for Michael’s bike, and enjoy a delicious vegetarian lunch whilst admiring the velo centred decor. They kindly agree to mind Ann’s cycle too, leaving us free to explore the inner city on foot. Close by is the cathedral, and the wonderful Jardins de Nante. 

The most intriguing feature of the gardens is the kale theme. It is part of a series of quirky installations involving plants and park furniture. Pots of kale march across the lawns ( non a pied). As they proceed through a  mound covered in moss and spikes, they lose the little clay pots that looked like eyes. Down into the lake they go and out the other side as pots without the kale. These empty  pots become the base of the ” cactus”  feature.

Nantes botanical garden’s cat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Seesaw seat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kale on the loose!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Park benches are sized high to low, or as an arch to walk under, and what fun- as a seesaw. Beautiful plantings, water features and trees also keep us engaged. 

The gothic Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul, is beautifully light inside. It suffered damage in WW2 and a fire in 1972  destroyed the roof. Consequently it is clean and the glass modern. A beautiful marble tomb for Francis 2nd and Margaret of Foix was commissioned by Anne of Brittany,who was Queen of France two times. She is a favourite of the province.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Queen Anne de Bretagne.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tomb of Francis II, Duke of Brittany. He is buried with both his wives but only 2nd wife Margaret is depicted.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The two faces of Prudence- wisdom of age and a young woman (Anne of Brittany) looking to the future.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The trams are on strike, so we walk home, up past the University, collecting supplies at the local Spar.
Our tente is cosy and filled with still drying washing.

Today's ride: 8 km (5 miles)
Total: 487 km (302 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0