Blain to Nantes - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2016

Blain to Nantes

A puncture but we are not deflated.

June 20 Monday 41kms

Blain to Nantes.

A puncture but we are not deflated.

Leave Blain earlyish after a quick visit to the local Lidl. All is going well until I feel the path to be a little more crunchy than usual. Flat as a crepe! We walk back to the lock we have just passed by and patch the ‘chambre a air’ with the help of the lock keeper. 

Stopping for lunch later to crunch on our baguettes and camembert (1.80E) we are gate crashed by a boatload of PLUs (people like us) who tie up le bateau and set up for lunch with chairs, table, food and lashings of what looked like champers. They are very friendly and we passed a couple of words- we understand  both reasonably well.

The end of the canal comes before we know it- in fact we miss the turnoff and have to back track. The path into Nantes has many twists and turns but is incredibly well signposted and is all off road. 

All roads now lead to Nantes. Despite our one error, final section of route has very clear signposting.
Heart 0 Comment 0


We are again thankful for courtesy of French drivers who give you at least 2 metres clearance and often hold back from passing if there’s any doubt. Arriving at camping Nantes we take a cabin (a wooden-floored, vinyl sided tente with proper bed, linen, cooktop, microwave and coffee machine!!) and are soon steaming under shelter.

Steaming with a cheeky red.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A visit to the local Spar for pamplemouse juice, coffee and other less essential items and to the patisserie restores us as the rain drenches the city of Nantes.

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 479 km (297 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0