Les Machines de L’ile. - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2016

Les Machines de L’ile.

We catch the tram to Machines de L’ile and find La Loire.

June 22 Wednesday 

L’ile de Machines.

We catch the tram to Les Machines de L’ile and find La Loire.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Modern developments near La Loire.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After giving the rain time to settle, we caught Ligne 2 to the river and walk to the Ile de Nantes and the fantastical workshop of Les Machines de L`ile.

Jules Verne, a favourite son.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Inspired by Jules Verne, this creation in a restored shipyard, has mechanical creatures that move. There is a heron with an 8 metre wingspan, a giant arachnoid whose jointed limbs lift it out of its pit and allow it to walk on all legs, a caterpillar with arching action and an ant whose feelers and legs are finely tuned. The elephant is the prize exhibit, but we do not see it move. It stands 12 metres high, with leather ears [ 5 cowhides per ear] and carries 40 people. All the parts are of wood, metal, and leather, and work on a pneumatic system [steam punk?] The vision is to have the heron fly from a giant tree through which plants will grow and  people will access via branching walkways. 

Steam punk elephant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We feel we had been in a 19th century time warp. It is a wonderful recreation rather than a “special effects” extravaganza.

Back to La Musette to collect bikes, enjoy their coffee and cake, and feel glad to have found such a pleasing enterprise.

Rain, thunder and traffic do not deter us – it feels good to be back on the bike. We use cycle lanes through the city all the way back to Petit Porte. What a great city!

Flying nun. Cycling- a habit to cultivate.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We cook a meal in our steamy kitchen on our return. Then, ‘ Gentlemen. To bed. For we ride at daybreak’ to follow La Loire.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0