Tuesday 30th July. Coping in Copenhagen - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 3 - CycleBlaze

July 31, 2019

Tuesday 30th July. Coping in Copenhagen

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

30 July Coping at Copenhagen Airport

We arrive at Copenhagen Airport at 1:00 pm on sunnyish Day. After 6 hours from Dubai, following 14 hours from Melbourne.

Chaotic, is no exaggeration for the arrival experience. UK citizens choosing Brexit will soon also find they have opted for  longer queuing at Airports - perhaps they like it that way. The arrival of 3 full planes clearly put a strain on the system and baggage retrieval becomes a combative process. Where are the orderly Danes? Eventually we get our bags and next,  bike boxes, which appear after dozens of children’s buggies. To our relief, the boxes are pretty much in the same condition as in departure.

Assembly presents no issues - we find a quiet corner outside and while I attach pedals, wheels, handlebars and other parts, Ann disposes of the mountain of detritus. Soon, with tyres pumped and panniers attached, we’re off, following the cycle path to the city. It’s 4:30pm!

We are riding along with wind behind us and a sudden feeling of ‘we’ve arrived!’

Greenery and glimpses of the sea and the distant bridge to Malmo. Apartments on the city edge impress- they are all built around communal parks of considerable area and their designs look appealing.

In the city, bikes - coming at you from all directions. Young leggy, blond visions of Nordic beauty,  and that’s just the guys, and hardcore speedsters, all head our way, from every direction.

After countless frustrating map checks as we negotiate the city at rush hour, we find our Airbnb apartment, lock up our  bikes, dine on sandwiches and yoghurt, shower and crash.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0