Thursday 19th September Photography Museum in Celje and Rail Trip to Ljubljana - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 3 - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2019

Thursday 19th September Photography Museum in Celje and Rail Trip to Ljubljana

September  19 Thursday. 15Kms

Photography Museum in Celje and Rail Trip to Ljubljana

We breakfast and farewell Dominique who’s off for a trek. We tell him NZ has lots of trekking possibilities for him. There’s quite a chill in the air now- a reminder that autumn is on the way. 

As the train departs at 12:40 we decide to visit the studio of photographer Josip Pelikan who recorded life in Celje between the 1920s and his death in 1977. The studio is one of the few glass skylight topped studios remaining in Europe. We visit the main museum in order to find a staff member who can open the studio, a short distance away.

A most ornate firebox
Heart 1 Comment 0

 The museum woman who opens the studio for us is clearly proud of her local heritage from the way she speaks. We explore the exhibits. Josip was born in Tarvisio, a town we visited when cycling the Alpe- Adria Route last year. He studied in Vienna and eventually established a business in Celje after marrying and doing army service. His photographs include landscapes - he loved the Kamik Mountains, and studio portraits. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Hold that pose..
Heart 1 Comment 0
Remarkable development photography since those days
Heart 2 Comment 0

Catching our train is reasonably easy but we are grateful for the help of the guard who helps us lift the bikes and bags up to the bike carriage which is quite a height off the ground.

It’s quite a haul to get into that carriage!
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a relaxing journey- train must be one of the more pleasant modes of travel, we reach Ljubljana. We’ve booked an Airbnb apartment which is about 4 kilometres by cycle path out of the centre in a quiet leafy street. There is a garage for our bikes and the ground floor apartment comprises 3 large rooms. Strangely, there was no electric kettle but the stovetop espresso coffee maker worked well. 

Following a walk to the nearby Mercator, for supplies, we plan our day in Ljubljana.

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 2,353 km (1,461 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0