Saturday 3rd October. The Bike box Quest to Decathlon - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 3 - CycleBlaze

October 5, 2019

Saturday 3rd October. The Bike box Quest to Decathlon

October 3 Saturday. 32Kms

The Bike box Quest to Decathlon

Decathlon Mestre is on the ring road, north east of Mestre, and with Maps.me planning assistance, we set forth. We did this last year, but went to a shop in Mestre itself. But starting off on Via Orlando is familiar, so is the sense of déjà vu as the footpath on the left runs out just before the first roundabout and we are walking into oncoming traffic. That is speedily remedied and we make it onto the overhead pedestrian bridge to cross the next major roundabout above the highway to Venice.  
There are a few more hurdles in this trip, including roadworks, the railway, a dual carriage SS14 and the E4 autostrada. They are overcome with determination, some traffic stopping manoeuvres, plain foolhardiness and frequent phone map checks, and before long the Decathlon sign is before us. 

Alberto is on duty and busy, but the boxes are ready ( gratis) and he also loosens the pedals in preparation for their total release in the pack-up. There is ample space outside to fold the boxes to fit on our carriers and secure them with our trusty “stretchy ties”. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Whilst Michael seeks glue and string in a nearby mall, I consult Maps.me again, and plot a quiet route home; sans motorway and busy roads. Re-energised by a slice of pizza, that our successful shopper could not resist, and grateful for the sunny afternoon we make good progress to the big over-bridge. It leads to a park and sports area that we remember from last year, and so we follow a greenway path along to Campalto. As we pass beside the marsh and lagoon we can see Veneto and the three towering cruise ships  that are in port. They make the outline of Venice look like toy town.  

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It’s such a pleasant ride, the boxes remain secure, there are no barriers to get round and we know this is the final pedal for this trip. 
We celebrate the successful day with a most welcome cup of tea at mobile home number 4.

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 2,887 km (1,793 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0