Monday 16th September Rest Day in Maribor - Walking the Old Town and Plotting our Route South. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 3 - CycleBlaze

September 16, 2019

Monday 16th September Rest Day in Maribor - Walking the Old Town and Plotting our Route South.

September  16 Monday.

Rest Day in Maribor - Walking the Old Town and Plotting our Route South.

It’s already hot by the time we set out to walk down to the river. Along the river front we look at the Synagogue, the old fortifications and the Justice Tower. At a building set up for wine tasting we find what’s claimed to be the oldest grapevine (400 years), in the world - not a claim we are qualified to dispute. It is heavy with dark blue grapes ready for harvest. A festival on September 21st is promoted as the harvest date. In case one feels tempted to pluck one, there’s a protective railing around them. 

The Old Vine. It’s roots stretch to the river basin.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Maribor seems a Very relaxed city at its heart, with plenty of people out shopping, enjoying a morning coffee or making use of the pedestrianised zone in the heart of the centre. 

The river Drava
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Town Hall
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Water Tower
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
City walls
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beside the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0

In the afternoon we plan our route south, using Komoot and our large map of Slovenia to give us the big picture. It seems that the road numbered 430 is a suitable one to take use out of town and get us on our way.

The Justice Tower.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow will tell us how successful our step into the unknown will be!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0